sweating copper

Page 4 of 4
On Feb 9, 10:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Mixing hydrogen and oxygen can be extremely dangerous too because the mixture has the potential to explode. Water, which is what you get after the chemical reaction of hydrogen and water on the other hand is an entirely different substance and no longer a mixture.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/dictionariesglossaries/g/defmixture.htm
Mixture Definition - Chemistry Glossary Definition of Mixture Definition: two or more substances which have been combined such that each substance retains its own chemical identity.
Examples: Flour and sugar may be combined to form a mixture.
Question: What Is a Mixture? You may have heard the term mixture used in reference to chemistry or cooking. Let's take a look at what a mixture is. Answer: A mixture is what you get when you combine two substances in such a way that no chemical reaction occurs between the components and you can separate them again
mix·ture   /ˈmɪkstʃər/ Show Spelled[miks-cher] Show IPA noun 1. a product of mixing. 2. any combination or blend of different elements, kinds, qualities, etc.: a mixture of good and bad traits. 3. Chemistry, Physics . an aggregate of two or more substances that are not chemically united and that exist in no fixed proportion to each other.
Capiche?
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:08:14 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

You clearly don't know the first thing about chemistry: you don't understand the difference between a mixture and a chemical compound.
Now stop, before you make yourself look even sillier than you already have.

And now you show that you don't understand the difference between bleach and chlorine.
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:23:53 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

What is used as an emergency water purification? Sodium Hypochlorite.3% to 8% AKA Clorox - AKA JAVEX AKA Chlorine Bleach.
Sodium Hypochlorite (12%) is the most common source of Chlorine for chlorinating domestic water supplies.
And I DEFY you to mix Chlorine Bleach - aka Sodium Hypochlorite and ammonia without producing copious amounts of Chloramine gas.
Use a bit too much ammonia and you will produce liquid hydrazine along with the chloramine gas. Mabee we'll get lucky and you'll kill yourself trying to prove me wrong.

Clare, stop. Just stop.
The more you keep going, the more you reveal your total ignorance of chemistry.

knows it all.
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 02:07:48 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

You should be the resident expert on that
Who's Kenny ya know?

Yea, it killed Kenny ya know.

(and some that is)
On 2/7/2012 8:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

it's not hard to find
--
Steve Barker
Years ago, the boss got a roll of lead free Sterling Taramet, or Tagamet. Not sure which. Seemed to work reasonably well.
On 2/7/2012 8:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

it's not hard to find
--
Steve Barker

I have a friend with a common hobby interest that occasional requires us to solder the ends of 1/16" aircraft cable to prevent it from unraveling after we cut it.
He always pulls out his tin of flux that dates back to the 1940's. He found it in his grandfather's garage.
Gramma says that Gramps was looking for his flux can, the other day. Better put it back.
I have a friend with a common hobby interest that occasional requires us to solder the ends of 1/16" aircraft cable to prevent it from unraveling after we cut it.
He always pulls out his tin of flux that dates back to the 1940's. He found it in his grandfather's garage.

A common mistake is to hold the flame too close to the pipe. This is not the hottest part of the flame. Plenty of video on the net on how to do this and what part of the flame to use. Google.
Jimmie
For us non-professionals, I've found this stuff helps alot.
http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/76/No.+95+Tinning+Flux.html