Suspended ceiling in garage

Being a neat freak I'd like to install a suspended ceiling in my attached garage, with recessed fluorescent fixtures. Just like in an office.

Is this something which is generally allowed? I would of course use the fire retardant ceiling panels. Any other potential code concerns?

Thanks.

- Spellcheck

Reply to
Spellcheck

I think you overly anal types are kinda weird, but everyone's entitled to whatever makes them a happy homeowner. Still and all, I think you're going a bit overboard in cost and aggravation with dropped ceiling if making your ceiling pretty is all you want to do. Is there any problem with just plain old drywalling, mudding, and painting, just like you'd do with any other room? You'd be able to recess the fixtures and everything, too.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

If you do, it will look great. I always wanted a show car garage. When you do, be sure to split your whole tile error on both sides, both ways. Ex., in tiles, 1/8, 1,1,1,1,1,1,1/8 north to south and east to west. Looks like a real pro job. Ceiling tiles are especially great for areas that commonly change....utility rooms, garages.

Tim S.

Reply to
TimS

It should be fine. I am assuming the existing ceiling meets codes and will stay.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not my cuppa tea, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Code shouldn't be a problem with fire retardant panels. Do you have the headroom to lose the likely 3-6 inches? If you have an overhead door, measure ABOVE the door with it open to see how much clearance you have. And keep in mind that if you get wind gusts with the door(s) open, venturi effect will will likely make panels bounce and rattle or pop loose. Make sure whatever panels you buy can take the humidity swings of a garage- seems like the corner office in the cheap garages I use always have saggy panels.

I'd go with plastic-coated or well-painted beadboard myself, and surface mount fixtures. Make sure whatever lights you use are cold weather rated, and approved for use around gas fumes.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Reply to
Art Todesco

Can be done and will look nice. You can also sheetrock it and it may work out close cost wise.

Be sure to paint the walls a bright color and add some good cabinets. People often look at garages as a place to store the car and a lot of junk. It does not have to be that way. My brother's six car garage has access to a bathroom, heat, AC, and plenty of wall hangings for decoration. Many people don't take care of their living room as well as his garage. He does a lot of auto restoration and keeps it cleaner than some medical offices. Worth the effort. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I don't know that I'd go with a suspended ceiling (I hate them anyway), but a good-looking garage is definitely worth the effort. A family friend has a large steel shed/garage which he has detailed as lovingly as the 1950s Ferrari he keeps there. Half of it looks like a 1950s diner with Coke paraphernalia transformed into various storage and things, and an old glass-ball gas pump is the stero control. The floor is a black/white tile. The ceiling is bare white, as I recall, but pristine and all the mechanicals like AC ducts are painted as well. Not one thing is out of place.

Well, there's a 2'x2' oil stain on the tiles he wasn't quite able to get out, but that's it.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Thanks, all, for your input. I appreciate the advice.

- Spellcheck

Reply to
Spellcheck