Sump pumps and muddy water

A house I'm trying to sell has a dirt basement with a stone wall foundation (an old farmhouse). In wet weather water comes in and yes I've done everything I canoutside to keep that from happening. My only option is a sump pump I think. But the water that gets in is either already muddy or gets dirty from the floor. Will sump pumps handle muddy water or are they made only for clean water pumping?
Recommendation? I'm willing to pay megabucks for the right piece of equipment.
My next option is dig a hole about 20 feet deep and cover it with a grate ;-)
Surround sump pump with fine stainless screen cage.
Pump should pump slightly muddy water fine but serious dirt can cause real grief.
Or buy a TRASH PUMP and add float switch trash pumps will pass anything.
sump pumps are a fraction of the price
Contact Zoeller pump co with your question
46erjoe wrote:

Your new pump should be installed inside a bucket with holes in it. The place where you buy the pump (not Borg) will have the bucket, screens and other stuff you will need. You should also pick up some gravel. Kepp in mind you will need a receptical nearby to plug the pump into. Here is a picture of the setup:
http://www.hometips.com/cs-protected/guides/sumps.html
46erjoe wrote:

In my old house, a previous owner retrofitted it with a sump pump, INCLUDING digging a trench all around just inside the basement wall. I assume the trench contains gravel and a perforated drain line, leading to the sump pit. (Can't see it because it's re-buried and cemented over.) The sump pump discharge is slightly muddy. The arrangement works well in terms of keeping the basement dry. -- H
wrotF:

Thanks for all the responses. I feel like a submersible is the best way to go for my situation.
I saw on ebay that there are a zillion brands. Is there one particular brand that is superior? I've gone through two pumps already: A pedestal which lasted 3 months and a submersible (bought at home deot for $150) that lasted 6 months.
I do have a liner (poly). It is dry now and I can see a lot of dried mud at the bottom.