Suggestion for a good pool glue (plastic on plastic, always under water)

I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell off which holds a cover down.
It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to expose it to air).
It's plastic on plastic.
Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?
Is there such a thing?

What type of plastic? If it is styrene, there are many good solvent based adhesives that could work. It it is any type of polyethylene material, there is no adhesive that will work.
There are thousands of potential blends of plastic. Need more info.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:58:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yikes. It's in the pool skimmer. So, it's that white plastic that pool skimmers have (which is kind of a yellowish off white color).
Do you know what type of plastic that would be?

What did they tell you at the pool store? (It was years ago, details now forgotten, but when I showed the pool store expert various parts disassembled from a filter, he told me two items were broken, i.e. ought to comprise a single unit: and recommended an appropriate adhesive: which worked.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Crazy glue could work. Of course it depends on the surface area you have to work with and what forces the "tab" are exposed to.

epoxy works underwater. but getting a clean surface to bond to might be a problem. gotta rough it up,too.maybe dril some holes for extra bonding surface. Can you unscrew or remove the broken part and glue it above water?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:56:16 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

I guess 'anything' is removable; but it's in the pool skimmer area (actually the cannister but that's getting complicated).

If it's in the skimmer, just let the water go down to the min over time, then pump out the few more inches it takes to get it above water.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:39:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Well, the 'cannister' is a good foot below the base of the skimmer so I'd be pumping out thousands of gallons of water (maybe even a foot and a half below the base of the skimmer).
Yes, I could pump the water out (disabling the pool until I put 'back' thousands of gallons); but I was hoping for an underwater glue.

My pool store would send you home with a stick of 2 part epoxy paste, made for the purpose. It is also what the appliance repair store sells. The trick is getting it to bond. You really need to work it in to both surfaces well to expel the water. I fixed a skimmer once and it did work. Be sure you wipe the parts down well to get any surface oil scum off before you start. Scuffing it up with some 150 grit wet dry paper can help too. You usually just get one shot at this so preparation is everything.

DAGS for "This to That" a website which specializes in recommending adhesives. JoeG
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:10:05 -0700, GROVER wrote:

I had never heard of http://www.thistothat.com before so thanks for the pointer.
Unfortunately, they don't have anything whatsoever on their site that says it will work under water.
Their glue calculator, for example, to glue "plastic" to "plastic", simply comes up with:
"If you are gluing PVC plumbing pipes, we recommend: PVC Adhesive If you are gluing something else and your joint needs to be flexible use: Household Goop Otherwise, use: LePage's 5 Minute Epoxy or LePage's Regular Minute Epoxy"
arkland wrote:

devcon has a 2 part putty epoxy. available at home depot. i use it to attach corals to rocks in my salt water tanks. it cures underwater just fine, but it has to have some sort of mechanical lock, so you have to rough up the 2 surfaces well.
arkland wrote:

Did you even try to Google "underwater swimming pool glue"?
http://tinyurl.com/6b3cc4p
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:26:38 -0500, tom wrote:

That 'might' work.
It says 'waterproof' but nowhere does it mention that it can cure under water.
DAP Products > Construction Adhesives > Specialty Adhesives DAP® EPOXY STIK® 2-Minute Epoxy
Fast-setting, high performance, two-component epoxy adhesive that dries clear in two minutes. It comes in a convenient, easy-to-use single dose pack that allows you to make quick repairs anywhere without waste. Provides a permanent, waterproof bond. Ideal for all types of household bonding and repair needs. It provides excellent adhesion to ceramics, china, glass, wood, concrete, metal and most plastics.