suction cup problems on tile walls

Page 1 of 2

I've got some suction cup holder to stick on tile walls in our shower. For some reason, they're not sticking.
Anyone know of some kind of clear glue I might get and use which won't hurt the tile???
rb wrote:

Soap holder or grab bar? If the latter, NOT a good idea. As you have already noted, they can't be trusted.
Smooth tile or pebble finish? Nothing sticks to those. For smooth finish, surface must be ultra- clean, and suction cup must be flexible, and moist. Rubbing a little vaseline into the cup sometimes helps, if it is porous material. Silicone caulk will hold it, but is a major pain to razor off when you want to take it down.
--
aem sends...

Silicone doesn't stick to rubber/plastic.
Ron wrote:

Sticks to styrene fine if you abrade the surface first. I had to pull like hell to get those soap dispensers off the wall, tile and fiberglass showers. If that clear rubbery stuff that looked and smelled like silicone wasn't silicone, I haven't a clue what it was.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

In reality, all it has to do is form a good seal, which it does fine.

That's some nose you've got there. I've been using it professionally for over 30 yrs and I've never been able to smell dried silicone.
Ron wrote:

It was coming off in slivers- plenty of fresh surface hitting the air for the first time.
--
aem sends...

Assuming your tile walls do not have a soap film, try some cyanoacrylate glue. If the suction cups are rubber it will adhere quite well to that substrate and also a clean tile surface.
Joe

I would clean the tile well and use silicone. Silicone is easy to remove as well.
Jack Hammer wrote:

No it ain't. Idiot previous owner used it to stick up a couple of those tacky liquid soap/shampoo dispenser things in both showers here, and I spent hours with razor and every solvent that wouldn't eat the tile and fiberglass, and there are still traces of it up there.
--
aem sends...

...DAP CAULK-BE-GONE Caulk Remover
Specially formulated gel softens many types of caulks and sealants for easy removal. Fast-acting formula, works in as little as two hours. Fresh scent. Will not harm most surfaces. Interior/exterior use.
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id
Worked great for me at the transition from tile to fiberglass tub.
It worked in less time than the directions state.
Jack Hammer wrote:

I agree, assuming that the objects aren't heavy and won't be a safety hazard. A little dab of silicone caulk with hold light objects a long time, and easy to take off.

Except silicone will not stick to a plastic/rubber suction cup. It will peel right off.
Ron wrote:

So you put a ring of it around the outside edge of the cup, so it oozes and forms a pocket around it.
--
aem sends...

Yes, that would work. Around it and over it. Good idea.

Don't why I didn't think about this. The OP could also drill a couple of 1/8" holes in the cup, put some silicone if the cup, press it against the tile, and then smooth out the silicone that squeezes out from the holes. Once cured it would hold nicely.
Used to do that (using 1/4" holes) with Nissan and Ford doorglasses that where "glued" into 2 plastic U shaped tabs with silicone from the factory that would quickly fail.
Gorilla Glue worked great for me. This was on lightly grooved tile.When it's time to remove it, I'll use a single-edged razor blade.

                             _________________________ Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com

---------------------------------------------------- I bought a couple of those, and they would not stay up either.
I reread the instructions that were inside the box and found out the suction cups must not fall on a grout line.
I checked the instructions on the outside of the box, and that little detail had been left off. It was plain on the instructions on the inside of the box, but that was too late. Freckles ------------------------------------------------------

Use a shower caddy that hangs over the shower arm.

They wont stick to rough tile, super glue will make the rubber crack. When I really want a suction cup to stick I put a little glycerin on it. My GPS has been stick to my trucks window for two years now. When you take it off it cleans up with a little Windex.
Jimmie