Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid

Page 2 of 2

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:04:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I can tell by looking, it's not an option. When they have that, don't they insist that everyone use it? In fact, don't they get rid of everyone except the truck driver, who doesn't have to get out of the truck. Here the county collects the garbage and they have 2 or 3 guys in addition to the driver, who walk along in my townhouse n'hood, and probably hang on to the truck when they go any distance without houses. There would be short distances like that, but no long ones I think, except to and from the garbage depot. Maybe all four can fit in the front seat?? I'll have to pay attention.
I made a point to put my garbage out close to the street, on this corner area that is right next to the road, to make it easier for them. Now everyone near me does that, so they don't have to carry the stuff from the curb the length of a car parking spot. But they still go past it and then back up to be as close as possible to 3 or 4 houses' trash.
DerbyDad, as to putting the can upside down, I tried that just now, and I have to crawl on the ground to put something inside. I'm not sure it will work.
Mike, the truth is I haven't used bags for years. They don't want us using bags, or even cans with bags but no lids, I thought because the mice would get at it in the days before it's put out. When it's out, I've noticed seagulls, I think I saw, pecking through the bags. (This is Baltimore, which is 60 miles from the sea! But there are flocks of 30 or 50 birds at a lot of big parking lots. Maybe they only come here on garbage day. )
Of course, maybe if the bags are well sealed, the mice and birds can't tell what's inside.

No bags allowed? No wonder you have such a stink problem! You must have to hose out your cans pretty regularly!
I have birds around in the form of crows. As long is the bag is closed, they don't bother it. Mice can't jump very high (~12"). I wouldn't be suprised if garbage cans are the height they are just to keep rats from jumping in.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:26:10 -0700 (PDT), mike

They're allowed, but we're still supposed to have lids.

We don't have a stink problem.

I throw almost nothing that is wet into it, and if I do have something that could rot, I put that only in a plastic grocery bag. The can does get dirty, but not much, and it dries.

Maybe I meant crows. I havent' noticed them lately, so I forget what they were. The parking lots definitely have seagulls.

Maybe mice aren't a problem. I live next to a stream, with a sewer following the path of the stream, and there was once a rat in the front yard. He was tough. I threw shoes at him but he didn't move. Then I had no shoes.
And I couldn't go to work without my shoes.
I missed him with the shoes, and I think I went back inside for a few minutes and when I came out, he was gone and I got my shoes. I don't think he got into the garbage. It's just that I assume the whole design is to keep out rats., maybe including the height like you say. In 1970, when I hitchhiked to Costa Rica, a friend's mother let me put all my stuff in her basement. I bought a galvanized garbage can or two, and put the clothes in them, so the mice wouldn't bother my stuff. She probably had no mice. It just occurs to me now, 40 years later, that I might have offended her. I think I gave her the can six months later.
It was a raccoon that oncce got in the garbage can, but that was more than 10 years ago, and I probablay didn't put the lid on well, just laid it on top. He was something though. I took flash pictures of him, but the flashes didn't make him move.
Rodents are tough.
mm wrote:

I put mouse traps out by the edge of the woods and catch them before they come to my house.

Buy a new can with a hinged lid and wheels.
Cut large holes in the bottom of the old can, invert it and use it as a composter. No waste, and a positive ending.