Sub Floor Replacement Question

I have a very old house, built in 1939. There is not a square corner or a level floor in the place. It has 1" (best guess) hardwood t&g subfloors topped with 5/8"particle board. The t&g wood has either rotted or been eaten by termites. I have not removed or replaced anything yet. My question(s) is this , Can I use 3/4" MDF or 3/4" t&g Waferboard as a suitable replacement for the t&g hardwood? What are the expected lifespans of these materials if they are suitable for this job? If these are not suitable can someone recommends an inexpensive yet durable replacement product. (3/4" plywood 29.46 sheet lowest grade at he local Home Depot) TIA FG
1939 is just kinda-old. Sounds like it's not gonna make a National Register.
I'd suggest priorities: 1. repair any structural problems and possible related causes (water leakage, insufficient foundation support, etc.) as possible first so you can support loads. If not, find a 'plan-b'. 2. replace all damaged materials. 3. possibly by room, make floor supports level; work up from there (subfloor, etc.)
I'd be prepared to remove lots of crap, from your statement. Might be useful in woodstove, anyhow. :")
Seems you'll be buying LOTS of whatever materials you choose. Get expert advice, and negotiate purchase with REAL lumber-yard. You gonna do this yourself?
HTH, J
If the subfloor is "either rotted or been eaten by termites", have you solved the cause of that problem? What are you going to do below existing partitions? TB
advantech makes a really good subfloor 3/4 t&g. http://www.huberwood.com/products/dsp_products.cfm?doc_id #