Stucco maintenance question

Our stucco house is about three years old and there are hairline + width cracks in places.

What's the best way of dealing with these? Use a caulk gun to squeeze some grout, or whatever, into them? Is there a special grout for this?

Thanks

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

Caulk would be better than grout because the cracks will likely move a little in the future, you can really only patch at the surface of a hairline crack. Are they along the line of the foundation. I have a line at the top and bottom of the sill plate, which is very common in No. CA earthquake country. Use latex painters caulk (like Alex plus) and rub it in with a wet rag or finger then paint over it.

If it were bigger you should use a stucco mix as a patch, quickcrete makes a small bag with fiberglass reinforcement mixed in.

Reply to
PipeDown

I've never in my entire life gotten any grout from a caulk gun.

HD, tile section has a small container of stucco mix, pre-mixed...get a quart. Hands and fingers work well for me, put some on and blend/feather in the cracks.....never over do it.

I also use a "sealer" - some can cover hairline cracks, DAP elastomeric caulk applied with a fine tip works well (blend into stucco texture). prime and paint.

Oren

Oren

You don't mention where you are, what climate you're in, or what's under the stucco. If you're in a damp climate, I would suggest calling a professional to make sure this gets fixed properly -- if a quick fix lets water seep in for the next few years, you'll spend far more on rot repair than you would have on a professional repair.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam