Stripping paint from basement door.

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.
As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what would be the preferred method to deal with this?
On 8/23/2011 4:02 PM, Jim wrote:

removal, and treatment with an orange based paint stripper. it's LOTS easier to work on it horizontal, both in stripping and repainting.
On 08/23/2011 07:12 PM, chaniarts wrote:

That is a phrase I haven't seen before - orange based paint stripper? I'm guessing it is something less caustic and/or toxic?

Yup... Less nasty chemicals and more all natural products...
Its a "green" paint stripping method...
~~ Evan
On 8/23/2011 10:24 PM, Jim wrote:

It's made, I think, from orange peels. Real "orangey" odor, and works very nicely. I've used a lot of paint remover and only recently decided to try citrus .. "Citrus Strip" is the name, I think. Still have to use about the same precautions and do a final "rinse" with mineral spirits. The biggest difference, other than odor, is that it isn't volatile so it works longer if you want it to. For a couple of coats of paint on metal, it should be a quick job. I stripped bentwood chairs that had about 5 coats of paint on them. My $8 chairs turned out to be not such a bargain, as the stuff is as pricey as the old semi-paste strippers.
On 8/23/2011 7:02 PM, Jim wrote:

If it painlessly unbolts, I'd take advantage of the waning days of summer, de-install it (covering the hole with a tarp and a board so people don't fall in it), and haul it to a body shop to get sandblasted and a baked-on paint job. I assume you have a real door at the bottom? Of course, that might cost almost as much as a new door, but it would be prettier than anything you can do in place.
--
aem sends...

On 08/23/11 7:02 PM, Jim wrote:

Beware of lead paint.