Storm Door Problem

I just installed an Andersen (Emco) self-storing storm door (link below). It is made of propylene which is not very rigid. The lips of the pocket that the glass and screen fit into are bowed outward in the center on both sides. This means that the pile weatherstripping of the glass doesn't make contact at the bottom, and will allow rain to go right into the core of the door, not to mention not providing any sealing in the winter time.

I called their hotline, and the gentleman said that bowing is normal, and offered to send me an engineering set of tolerances to compare against. He said that he doubts that Home Depot would accept it as a return since it's been installed. He said that storm doors aren't meant to seal, just to protect the entry door against the weather.

I guess I expect a little more quality and sealing ability from a storm door. Am I expecting too much? Any suggestions on how to proceed.

Buck Turgidson

you bought the low end door didnt you? ythe 99 buck special:(

Return the door for a exchange, the 200 buck doors are made way better.

i have one of those cheap doors going to my back deck, the door gets almost no use. wife demanded a deck and never uses it, average less than once a year..falling apart, water gets in and fogs glass bottom kick panel fell out.

exchange for a better door the one you bought is junk........

home depot will take it back to keep you as a customer may need to get manager involved.

Reply to
hallerb

No, this door was $240.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

How much gap do you have? I just looked at my similar aluminum door and it is not a perfect seal either, but still pretty good. Does Home Depot have one on display you can look at for comparison?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The one on display is even worse. They must assign the displays to the new guys. I've put some clamps on the door with the hopes that the sun will soften the skin and it will get a "memory".

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

poor quality, return door.........

for 240 bucks you deserve better.

Reply to
hallerb

I'm afraid that you just found out first hand why plastic doors are junk, no matter what they cost.

If you can get them to exchange it for an Anderson 2000 Self Storing door, you'll be much happier.

Reply to
Abe