Storm door install problem

Hi, I tried installing a storm door on my 2 year old house. However, when I drilled through the molding for the door mounting screws - there wasn't a joist behind the molding - just air space.
Two questions - how could this happen, and what if anything can be done about it?
I would still like to mount a storm door, but there is no way the molding wood is going to support a substantial door.
I don't know what model of storm door you are referencing, but if it the typical metal jamb set and metal door with glass or screen that is available at the Borgs, it is meant to mount to the trim.

On 11/26/2004 3:37 PM US(ET), BillC took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

the door and jamb. Shims are then installed in the gaps to take up the extra space, usually at hinges, strike plates, and various other locations around the door jamb. The gap that you are encountering is probably less than an inch wide, and more likely 1/2" or less. There are a couple of things you can do: Take off the inside trim and put shims between the door jamb and studs where the storm door screws will be attached, or use longer screws, that will span the gap and reach the studs.
The mounting screws are only 1 - 1 1/4" long and are not meant to go into the framing (joist are in the floor/ceiling I think you mean studs) Storm doors mount to the outside door trim, usually brick mold, which is 1 1/4" thick. Brick mold comes pre attached to the door.You will find this brick mold is also nailed (or screwed) into a stud. I don't understand where you are trying to install it.

I know the kind of door you mean. And, I don't think it really matters how screen doors are "usually" installed. It's your house, and the installation is a matter of pride in the finished job, and what makes you feel comfortable. Therefore, if you end up ripping off molding and rebuilding/reinforcing whatever's behind it, and it makes you happy, just do it and don't concern yourself with how the average installation is done.
Your wife may ask "Is this how it's usually done?", when you're in the 73rd hour of work. Just tell her you're devising a new version of "usually". :-)