Storing an Auto Battery?

Page 2 of 3
On Jul 31, 9:36pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Two points.
Relative living in Middle East for a few years found the high temperatures really deteriorated his auto batteries! Often with simmer temps close to 50 deg. C ( 130 F) one of his lasted only about 15 months!
When a bttery is discharged, or partially so, it a can freeze more easily. My neighbour, who works with a to-site rental equipment company has just moved back from western Canada (Alberta etc.) and says that he has seen the occasional frozen battery. What usually would happen is that equipemt would break down, typically, say, the elctricity generator at a construction site. The operator/renter would run down the battery trying to restart the equipment. It would be later, or next day before my neighbour could get somebody out from the city to effect a repair and the flattened battery might then have frozen, during very cold weather.
Two points.

temps close to 50 deg. C ( 130 F) one of his lasted only about 15 months!
When a bttery is discharged, or partially so, it a can freeze more easily. My neighbour, who works with a to-site rental equipment company has just moved back from western Canada (Alberta etc.) and says that he has seen the occasional frozen battery. What usually would happen is that equipemt would break down, typically, say, the elctricity generator at a construction site. The operator/renter would run down the battery trying to restart the equipment. It would be later, or next day before my neighbour could get somebody out from the

From one of the battery companies I found this:
Can a battery freeze? The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharged. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF.
Sure, a fully charged battery can freeze. If it's taken below -92F.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nobody, including me every said that a battery could not freeze if exposed to a low enough temperature. What I said was a battery would not freeze from normal winter temperatures as long asyou kept it charged up.
So, when was the last time it got down top -92F where you live?
Thanks for the field report. Nothing like real world experience.
I loved your double meaning "simmer temperatures". That's good!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Of course, everything he said validates and reinforces what I said, dimwit.
He points out that discharged batteries may freeze. That's essentially what I said. I said that fully charged batteries don't freeze. At least not anywhere in the continental United States. His examples of batteries freezing were batteries that were run down. Hence my advoce that you keep batteries in a cold place, and KEEP THEM CHARGED TO PROTECT AGAINST FREEZING.
I also said that colder temps prolong the life of battereis by slowing the chemical reaction. He says that his relatives in the middle east found this to be true as well.
Low functioning people tend to draw incorrect conclusions. "I'm not curious about that particular point" does not speak to the rest of my life. A real logical failure, on your part. "Stormy hates green pickles, therefore he doesn't eat any food at all" would be an example of your logical technique.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Right. Sherlock Holmes opined that the mind is like a closet. If you fill it with irrelevant stuff, there's either no room for the new or you've got to discard something previously retained.
I, for example, have no memory of anything before the fifth grade.

Sherlock Holmes was a dope addict. You only use something like 15% of your brain mass. There's plenty of room to store more, if you excercise you mind enough to make use of more of the available room.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

My doctor keeps saying I should exercise more. I keep telling him: "Cut the exercise crap; I want pills!"
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:12:37 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Stormy believes in god, therefore he is unable to think logically.
His own ability to think is so weak, that he must have his thoughts given to him by a religion.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

I don't know why you say that. I really don't care though :-)

There are colder places on Earth. Listen to some speak of their spouses.

<...skipped...>

In the _really_ old days some battery cases were even made of wood.

On Jul 31, 10:37am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Wood yes: Gosh had forgotten that! And then worked for years with telephone office batteries made of glass. Then later clear plastic; so that one could see plate growth/residue etc. Thanks for the memory!

Damn that popped a memory bubble. When I was a kid we went on some tour of the local phone company. Vague images of some basement with all those batteries IIR.
CWLee wrote:

You need a float charger.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberB292
I'd suggest to store the battery where it will not get freezing or hot temps. Cellar, is good. Cement? Dunno. Might be an urban legend, but wood is cheap and why take the chance.
I had a Horrid Fright float charger hooked to my marine battery. Boiled the battery dry, and killed it. If you do use a Horrid Fright charger, run it about an hour a day, using a lamp timer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I bought one of those HF $3 digital multimeters,checked it and it read a fresh 1.5 volt alkaline battery at nearly 2 volts,took it back for another,that read a more reasonable 1.6 volts.
I would check the calibration of any HF electrical product.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Are you sure that the correct interpretation isn't: Don't store the battery on concrete; if it leaks the battery acid will DESTROY OR STAIN THE CONCRETE?

Some stores find it worthwhile to stock Concrete Rust Remover and advertise it for removing battery acid stains, so there's reason to believe leaking batteries might damage the concrete.