Stihl chainsaw...

Chainsaw starts, but the chain does not turn. The chain is not over tight and is on the sprocket. Could it be the clutch or the auto-brake? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 11:23:05 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's the safety brake. Pull the hand shield towards you to release it.
If chain is off the sprocket it must be put on the sprocket manually and then adjusted to the proper tension chain will not go on itself.
wrote in message wrote:

It's the safety brake. Pull the hand shield towards you to release it.

chain is not over tight and is on the sprocket. Could it be the clutch or the auto-brake? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Yes, that's totally possible.
Suggestions: Pull the safety handle towards your self.
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 12:00:11 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes that is the most likely. It may take a strong pull or jerk. I had one saw that really needed muscle to release.
Harry K
On 6/25/2015 3:06 PM, Harry K wrote:

pull or jerk. I had one saw that really needed muscle to release.

The one or two Stihl I've handled, the safety bar over the front handle moves half to a full inch forward and back. It (safety handle forward) is a very real possible reason why no chain movement.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hmm, First time trying chain saw? Hand Others already mentioned hand brake.
Thanks for the input. It was the chain brake. I have to say it made a loud pop when I forced it toward me, but it works fine now. Thanks again everyone.
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 12:23:05 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for sharing the solution. Now we can all learn, and do better.