STEPS TO CELLAR

thie is an OLD house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into it by way of a bad set of steps. Three steps down then turn right and have to BEND under a beam and go down another four to the dirt floor. I want to try a spiral type unit in this very tight space. ANY drawing and how to would be appreciated.

Reply to
lance

thie is an OLD house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into it by way of a bad set of steps. Three steps down then turn right and have to BEND under a beam and go down another four to the dirt floor. I want to try a spiral type unit in this very tight space. ANY drawing and how to would be appreciated.

Reply to
lance

Lemme guess- an older urban house on a narrow lot, and the stairs are crammed between lot line or driveway to unattached garage, and the house itself?

Any reason you can't make the outside stairwell pit deeper, and enlarge the opening through the wall for a proper entry door?

I'd make a dimensioned diagram (x,y, and z axes) and take some photos, and visit nearest precast concrete products dealer. Odds are they have something in the catalog that would work.

I would recommend getting professional input on the design. We can't see your house from here, and there may be reasons it was built the way it was. Even if you feel ambitious enough to do the demo of the old stairwell and the digging, I'd strongly recommend getting a pro to assist with the install. Outside stairwells are notorious for leaking and frost-heaving, and providing flooding paths into the basement. (hence the ugly shanty covering the basement stairs on lots of old houses. )Experience with local soil conditions helps a lot in determining the best approach to take for your application. 'Get expert help' applies even more, if you need a site-built custom stairwell, either poured or laid up from block. Don't forget the drain at the bottom.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

If you need to pull a permit for the job, you will be in for a big job. The code will require all kinds of things that probably won't work without major reconstruction, rise/run, headroom, etc.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into

Thanks and I should of explained better. These step ARE infact on the inside of the house. No outside entry. Is there a way I can send a few pictures on this group thing or to you?

Reply to
lance

house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into

Pictures can't be attached to posts in this group, but can be posted at any of the various on-line picture sharing sites. You then simply post a link to the pctures/album in this newsgroup.

Reply to
DerbyDad03