Stain resistant carpeting

I am considering a major (several thousand dollar) investment in wall to wall carpeting in an area where food is commonly served, and want a carpet that looks luxurious but also resists stains. I am leaning towards the polyester (as opposed to nylon or wool) fiber, and wonder if this is the better choice. If polyester is the right fiber, does it have some distinct drawbacks in other areas?

Thanks for opinions and ideas,

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Polypropylene or Nylon.

Small stains won't be so noticeable in a patterned carpet.

RicodJour

Again, a superb set of references (and I am embarrassed that I let the carpet salesman give me misleading info). It appears that nylon is indeed an alternative as is olefin, two options I was discouraged from considering by the local carpet superstore.

I found your web references to be excellent. Thank you very much for taking the time to help and provide such good direction.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Nothing wears like nylon. A good nylon carpet will have fibers with cross sections spun to hid dirt - usually trilobal - , antistatic fibers, and finishes to resist stains. Olefin is probably superior to polyester but there are numerous other factors like weave, basis weight and color. Good brand name carpet followed by fiber manufacturers certification will be best bet. Beware of remnant or leftover stores as you never know what you are going to get.

Frank

Reply to
Frank