squirrels in car

Last night I found acorn shells in the car, above the glove box. I opened the hood and found a lot more shells in the engine compartment.
There are lots of squirrels in the neighborhood so I'm pretty sure they are getting in the car at night-the car is not in the driveway during the day.
Other than a shotgun, is there a good way to keep the squirrels from invading the car??
Thanks

Maybe a fake snake or a have a heart trap, its probably only one bold squirrel but it could grow to a family, a family that wont be evicted easily.
trailer wrote:

Install a cat under the car?
"LouB" wrote

LOL!
Actually this happens sometimes in my area so I'm curious what folks do. My neighbor has a trick he says works for the occasional one. He puts a flashlight (turned on of course) just before the front bumper. Not actually under the car he said as if the car drips something, it potentially could cause a problem.
Us, we have a noisy windchime that hooks on in 5 seconds to the front bumper. As long as there's a little wind, it seems to work.

My mom used to have a problem with mice - not IN the car exactly, but in the engine. She had to have someone check it regularly to remove the dried out dismembered mouse corpses from the fan. Finally someone built a cage of some kind around it.
was wondering if a small bag of mothballs might be a deterrent??
"LouB" wrote

LOL!
Actually this happens sometimes in my area so I'm curious what folks do. My neighbor has a trick he says works for the occasional one. He puts a flashlight (turned on of course) just before the front bumper. Not actually under the car he said as if the car drips something, it potentially could cause a problem.
Us, we have a noisy windchime that hooks on in 5 seconds to the front bumper. As long as there's a little wind, it seems to work.
"trailer" wrote

Interesting idea! I wouldnt hang them in there as not sure what would happen if they got greasy or hot?

Seems like closing the car windows would keep them out, don't you think? If the car still has a hole somewhere big enough for squirrels to get in, then squirrels are the least of your troubles.
As far as the engine compartment, that's another story.
trailer wrote:

As long ast they're in the car, take 'em for a ride to the next county...

Squirrels go to sleep at night.

Problem is the samebut it could be mice or chipmunks.
Mechanic bud of mine serviced a car that was brought in running "shitty". Air filter loaded with sunflower seeds.

Worry when they start eating the wires: http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/archive/x1178183952
Here's one with some suggestions: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9951a/0

And you leave your windows open I guess, closing them is a start, isnt it? It deters theives too. Check the air filter, mice make nests there too. I heard of a farmer with stored corn that had his exhaust packed with corn, probably from a Chipmunk , which store food.
ransley wrote:

As an aside, what would happen if the exhaust system was semi-packed with popcorn?

Time to rent a movie.
on 4/22/2008 10:08 AM trailer said the following:

More likely, they are chipmunks. Close your car windows at night to keep them out of the interior. Not much can be done to keep them out of the engine compartment. I've found little piles of shells on the inner fenders. Found some in the air filter along with some chewed up air filter. You may want to cover the air filter intake with a wire screen to keep them from chewing up your air filter. Not the window screen type, but heavy duty metal screen with 1/4" holes.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY