SQUIRREL IN ATTIC

I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long it might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?
thanks,
Freckles
On 12/07/2013 04:58 AM, Freckles wrote:

Yes, I had the same problem.
In my community it is illegal to kill a squirrel, so live traps are used.
If you get an exterminator they will charge you per visit.
Thirty years ago, when I called them, it was $65 a visit, I'm sure it's a lot more now.
The best thing to do is just buy a live trap and catch the squirrel yourself...then relocate it ten miles away. If you only relocate it a mile or two away , it will come back.
Once you are positive there is no squirrel in your attic, patch the hole with sheet metal.
BTW: Before I knew it was illegal to kill a squirrel I had quite a few in the attic and called an exterminator assuming they'd poison them or kill them in some other way. The only problem I had was trying to explain this to my five year old daughter.
I tried the slow and gentle approach:
Say, I need to talk to you. We have squirrels in the attic.
My daughter's eyes got real big, then she yelled, "Shoot them daddy!"
On 12/7/2013 8:24 AM, philo wrote:

Laws vary on trap and release. Here you can trap the animal and kill it but not release it elsewhere. I trap and release anyway. Once in front of a cop and he did not say anything.
I would trap and seal openings or if the squirrel is out, just seal openings. One of my sons had a squirrel get trapped and die in his chimney liner and ended up paying nearly $1,000 in its removal and repairs.
Here is a nice easy tutorial on building a squirrel zapper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
42KR1hrFc
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:51:21 -0500, Frank

ROFLOLWTIME. I'm going to tell this one to friends.

Curious. If you knew it was illegal, why did you take the risk of doing it in front of a cop?

On 12/7/2013 10:43 AM, micky wrote:

I had taken the squirrel to a wooded county police substation near the park where a cop was getting out of his car and I told him I had come there to release a prisoner and proceeded to do so and he said nothing.
Found out later from an article in the paper.
I tried to drown the last raccoon that I trapped, filled an old plastic garbage can with water and it collapsed before I could put the trap in. Figured God wanted him to live so I released him in the park.
I've had squirrel problems before. Iffy but occasionally a large rat snap trap will work.
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:39:46 -0500, Frank

Thanks. Interesting.
On 12/7/2013 5:58 AM, Freckles wrote:

townhouse, I had a hole in the soffit and could periodically hear squirrels scampering around in the floored attic. My approach was to turn on my whole house fan which seemed to scare them back where they came from. I eventually had the soffit repaired. Then when I sold the house, I decided that since I hadn't searched for anything stored in the attic for 4-5 years, I just had a junk company empty it out. I was downstairs when I heard one guy shout "rat". They didn't say anything to me when they collected the payment so I asked, and they said they'd found some sort of skeleton in the attic. Without fur on it they didn't know if it was a squirrel or rat. I told them I preferred to believe it was a squirrel.

A squirrel is just a rat with a bushy tail and a publicist
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:00:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Precisely. I even call them bushy-tail-rats when SWBMO and I talk about them. They can have the woods. If they come closer, they're dead. The bunnies and deer can have the back yard, even. ;-)
Crows and gulls are just rats with wings.
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:00:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's the sort of thing my mother would say. She said she didn't see the difference between a squrrel and a rat.
It took me years to thihk of a comeback and now it's too late to ask her, What is the difference between an ugly man and a good-looking man? (or woman?)
IN ATTIC:

From a woman's perspective: $$$
Guess which one has it.

The one with the woman.
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:00:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Very true.

I thought a squirrel was a critter that could eat its own nuts. o_O
TDD

Wow, thanks, you just reminded me that I should trim a tree and some bushes. The tree is outside my property, and the tree trimmer hired by the HOA was trying to cut off anything that was over my property, and I stopped him. But I shouuld cut the last nnn feet. How far will they jump to get on a roof?
Not that I have squirrels in my attic, but when I got here 30 years ago, there were 2 dead birds looking up and out through the pink fiberglass. I repaired the hole somewhat, but it's not perfect.