spray paint report...

just in case anyone wants to use this product... I bought a couple cans of Rust-Oleum Hammered Metal finish black spray paint (see "oops I did it again) for an old filing cabinet. I was expecting something like the finish on an old socket set box; kind of a two-color glassy patterned finish. Or something like the old "Hammerite" paint but in a spray can. Well this paint produces an interesting effect, but it is completely different, more like a regular fisheye pattern. In fact I suspect that that is how they achieved it because the first coat did show through to primer in the "low spots." You really need two coats to cover correctly (and in my case doubly so, as I was using red primer not black, as I wasn't originally planning on priming the project that I'm spraying and red was what I had on hand.)

It looks OK, and I don't care enough to strip and start over, but had I known that this is what I was getting I might have just skipped it and gone with regular appliance epoxy, as this really wasn't the look I was going for.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I used the bronze hammertone on a wine rack I welded up and it worked well there. For regular stuff I use the "high performance" enamel which does a nice job, especially on items small enough to bake in the oven at

170 for a few hours.
Reply to
Pete C.

I repainted an ancient range hood with Rustoleum primer and enamel, using a small Preval sprayer. The old paint was a little gummy and bare metal showed through ... looks like new now. I used just a little mineral spirits for the Preval sprayer, as it was such a small job and didn't want to buy the special product for thinning (the alkyd version of Penetrol). The trick to not getting any drips or runs is to keep a foam brush handy, wrung out with mineral spirits, so's to catch them before they begin to set. The Preval sprayer has a small spray pattern, and might be tricky for a file cabinet, but they are pretty slick. I used them also for some louvered closet doors, and they were perfect for that job.

Reply to
Norminn

By the time you're finished you might end up with a filing cabinet that looks like it's worth $10... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I used the silver hammered Rust-Oleum years ago on a computer case. I was pleased with the results, I think it would a fine option if your surface has minor imperfections that you want to mask. It also proved to be very durable, I never was able to scratch any paint off. I don't remember the paint spraying any chunks, rather the texture formed after spraying using some kind of chemical reaction.

Greg M

Reply to
Greg M