Spray foam Insulation

Hi, I was wondering if that spray foam insulation that comes in cans is considered safe. When that kind of insulation first came out I think about 20 years ago, a friend of mine had his whole house done, only to learn that the product outgassed formaldehyde, and had to take the house down to the studs. Do the new products now still have that problem? I just want to fill some holes and cracks to keep out cold air. Thanks, Chas
wrote (with possible editing):

There are two kinds of foam - expanding and non-expanding. The first is polyurethane with an R value of 6.5 per inch, the second is urea formaldehyde with an R value of 5.5 per inch. Normally, the foam which expands is polyurethane, and that is the most common kind you find in spray cans. Polyurethane is dangerous only if it subjected to the heat of a fire. The gas produced under those circumstances is dangerous, even lethal. Urea-Formaldehyde is relatively inert, but the danger has always been that it outgasses formaldehyde which is irritating to some (NOT ALL) people. Plywood also outgasses formaldehyde, although less so. (formaldehyde is used in the glue which glues plies together)
For your use, I wouldn't worry about either. I used polyurethane foam around my electrical outlets, being careful not to apply too much. I'm still here five years later with no ill effects. Main insulation here is fiberglass with 12" of cellulose over 12" of fiberglass in the attics.
--
Larry
snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

is
about
that
the
fill
I am not sure that it still contains formaldehyde. I injected some foam into my walls, and the MSDSs and the company's web site specifically said that they don't contain it.
http://www.fomofoam.com /
http://www.tigerfoam.com /
The formaldehyde was not the real issue with that type of foam as an insulation product. All sorts of things give off tons of formaldehyde, carpet, your new car, some paints, and furniture. The problem with the foam as insulation is that it shrank over time and thus allowed thermal bypasses to form and total loss of R value. The Urethane form you get (great stuff) is non shrinking and a different catalyst. For small air sealing it is fine, but do not inject into cavities that can be damaged by the expanding foam pressure. Use a low expansion (window and door) foam for filling window cavities and other sensitive spaces.
TAB Dude
www.getenergysmart.org

I've used the Dap-Tex Insulating Foam Sealant. It's latex based, virtually no odor, water cleanup, doesn't over expand.
www.dap.com
Bob

No. Not if you mix it with your milkshake.

If you just put it in your walls, I don't think so.

mm wrote:

You just saved my life. Thanks a million (but don't expect a check).