spores in safe

I have a home security safe in an upstairs closet next to a bathroom. When we looked in it last week white mold spores had formed on the contents (i.e. leather passports, papers, jewelry bags).
Seeking recommendations for killing what is already on the objects, and preventing reoccurence.
Thanks guys
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I have a home security safe in an upstairs closet next to a bathroom.

Mold loves leather. Can get it off with brisk rubbing with a rag, and scrub bags in hot water, if they are washable. Paper - perhaps brush it off with a dry stiff brush, then putting it somewhere, like a heater closet, to thoroughly dry. Once the safe is perfectly dry, mold is unlikely to reappear. Bleach is mold's enemy, but would ruin your paper, bags,and leather stuff. For controlling humidity, I use a 12 inch, low wattage Goldenrod dehumidifier - look it up on Google, and buy it online at marine supply or like business. Some people go the thrifty route and just put a 40 watt light bulb in there. You'll need to drill and deburr a 1/4 inch hole in the safe for the cord, if it doesn't have a built in hole, and remove the plug so you can thread the cord thru. Then silicone adhesive in, and around, the hole. I also use silica gel cans in there, to be sure it is dry. In my house I also have a goldenrod, larger model, in the closet nearby, to keep mold off shoes and clothes, as the closet is below grade level.... You may also have to move the safe away from the bath area, and check the wall for moisture leakage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
saul wisnia wrote:

You have three problems. First is the existing mold. I can't be of a lot of help there. You need to clean up what you have and try to kill any remaining mold.
Next is the safe location. You picked a bad spot, next to a bathroom. Find a cool dry spot for it.
My safe came with a supply of desiccant material. You dry it out and place it in the safe when you close it. The idea is to dry out anything that is in there, reducing the problem. You can buy this material many places. You dry it out in the oven from time to time.
Good Luck
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Decisant to keep safe dry is best. Wipe safe with bleach.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

www.midwayusa.com sells silica gel in a package that makes it easy to use and maintain. It's called Hydrosorb or some such thing. Check the section of the site devoted to gun storage. The package I use is in a metal can like Altoids mints come in, about the size of a deck of cards. It's got a little indicator window so you can see when the crystals are turning color and it's time to dry them in the oven. Very convenient.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
saul wisnia wrote:

for fire protection. Part of its fire rating may be due to the moisture locked up in the stuff inside the safe's walls. Fire has to dry out that moisture before the internal temperature goes up markedly.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bennett Price wrote:

The fire protection is generally provided by the moisture locked up in the fill/insulation material between the inner and outer shells. Often this is concrete or like material. I don't think the rating relies on the contents.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The active chemical in mothballs and those rectangular things you hang in closets inhibits mildew and many kinds of mold. (benzene or some related chemical) It also stinks and causes cancer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Joseph Meehan wrote:

fill/insulation material, the fire rating will diminish. I didn't mean that only after dessicating the family jewels would the fire rating go down.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bennett Price wrote:

That would be true.
I don't know what all safes use, but I would guess that it is something like concrete where the water is very tightly held and can only be removed at very high temperatures.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.