Special length brass nipple

Page 2 of 2

Won't matter. It's a shower nipple, so one end of it will always be open, and there won't ever be any significant pressure on the joint.
Doug Miller wrote:

Depends on how restrictive the flow control in the shower head is. I know I wouldn't want it dripping behind my walls.
Bob

be open, and

Right. There will always be some pressure drop across any kind of flow restriction, and a spray nozzle could be considerable, I would think, especially low flow showere heads. Also, people will often put a valved branch fitting on a shower gooseneck for a hand-held shower hose and wand. If later someone attaches a wand that itself has a shut-off valve, full line pressure can be on all the joints in there. I'm familiar with this problem from personal experience, including some ruined plaster.
Ed

A flow restrictor shower head can cause enough pressure in a showerhead elbow to cause a poor joint to leak. I had this at my own house at one time.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
I've asked around, although not at HD, but seems that the HW stores and plumbing supply houses only offer threader machine service, and they won't work on short nipples.

tried) will

same for

jaws and

have
Well, I did it. The nipple has been cut to length, rethreaded, and used to install the elbow on the shower wall. However, I won't say it was easy. The main problem is the hand-held dies have a guide collar that the pipe enters through before reaching the die proper. This means there is only a little over an inch sticking out to grip, and most of that is threaded. In order to get a good grip w/o damaging the threads I fitted a brass cap I happened to have. Initially I grabbed it in a vise, but I'm afraid my vise and workbench were no match for the force it takes to cut the threads as the length of engagement grows. Finally gripped it with a pipe wrench. Of course this tightens the cap far beyond normal, so getting it off after the threads were cut was tough too. Went through this several times before getting enough good threads for a good fit at the shower wall. Glad I'm not a plumber!
thanks for all the help.
Ed