SPAX Multi-Material Screws vs. Standard Wood Screws

I was in HD yesterday looking for #8 wood screws in 2.5" or 3" lengths. They did not carry those lengths in anything other than the "2 packs" ($1.18 ea) so the clerk suggested these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-8-x-2-1-2-in-Philips-Square-Drive-Flat-Head-Full-Thread-Zinc-Coated-Multi-Material-Screw-1-lb-Box-4101010400606/202041007
I should note that the website shows "Full Thread" for those screws, but in the 2.5" length the actual product on the shelf has about 1/2" of unthreaded shaft. (Same SKU, different screw)
They are slightly more expensive than the same size package of standard wood screws would have been, but way cheaper than buying a boatload of the 2 packs at $1.18 each.
BTW I'm not asking for a source for #8 2.5" wood screws, I'm just curious about how the multi-material construction screws would work in place of wood screws. I would never trust the "no need to predrill" claim for anything that I cared about, but other than that, would there be a problem using these screws in wood?
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Definitely not...they should work perfectly. And, I think you also knew the answer...you don't strike me as being ignorant.
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 07:43:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

No.
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Reminds me of some pointless thing micky would come up with!
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 8:30:27 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

Interesting response. Also interesting is how a few intelligent members of another usenet group offered some real world experience with SPAX screws, including the benefits of and some gotchas to look out for.
You want to talk about pointless things? We could talk about both of your responses but that would be a serious waste of my time.
Moving on.
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 7:43:25 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

...just rattling your cage. You'll note I behave myself *there*...because everyone is congenial and non-political.
"DerbyDad03" wrote
| BTW I'm not asking for a source for #8 2.5" wood screws, I'm just curious | about how the multi-material construction screws would work in place of | wood screws. I would never trust the "no need to predrill" claim for | anything that I cared about, but other than that, would there be a problem | using these screws in wood?
I never use wood screws. Those are for the old days, when holes were drilled by hand. What you're looking at is what I think of as sheet metal screws. I use coarse thread drywall screws for most purposes. The same thing coated for outside. They're similar to sheet metal screws. Buying those in 5# boxes, I don't usually need to buy small bags of screws.
I don't pre-drill for most purposes. Drywall, framing, cabinet work.... usually I just drive them because they're thing enough not to crack the wood. But they have low shear strength, so there are some places I don't use them. Today I was building stairs with a railing. I used coated "construction screws" (basically #8 drywall screws) to attach fir ballusters to PT horizontals. Those I do predrill. Not the PT, but the fir.