Source for non-standard screws?

I have a generator with a Briggs & Stratton engine that I need to find a bolt for. I'm fairly sure that the hole is 1/4", but the threads are not the standard 20 threads per inch. I've checked both Lowes and HD and the only

1/4" bolts I can find are 20 tpi, even in the specialty fastener drawers.

I tried a few metric bolts and found that a 6mm bolt with 1 thread per millimeter was a pretty close fit, screwing in about a turn and a half before binding.

6mm = 0.24" which leads me to believe that 1/4" is the correct size bolt.

1 thread per mm is equivalent to 25.4 threads per inch, so the bolt I need is likely 24 or 26 threads per inch.

What's a good source for relatively non-standard bolts like this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Chuck

go on the newsgroup below and you will surely get an answer: rec.crafts.metalworking alot of engineer people on that group... i would go to a Ace Hardware store, the one by me has just about any bolt, nut or screw you could think of... if you can put the generator in the back of your truck and drive up to the front door the employee will come out and check it out.. kinda alot of work for a 50 bolt, but they do it in my area.. not gonna get a home depot guy to do that for you....

Reply to
jim

snip

I would try Briggs and Stratton. Seems like they could at least give you the specifications.

Good luck.

Peter

Reply to
peter

Try a GOOD hardware store, auto parts, or industrial supply house. 1/4-28 is a common size used in automotive and many other applications.

If you have the manual, look at the parts list and it may give the specification of the bolt. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I stopped by an Ace Hdwe some years back to have a key made for my rental car. He actually came out to the car to check that it worked okay. I was amazed. (Maybe it is the same store)

Reply to
Wade Lippman

We have a supplier that is nothing but nuts bolts and washers over in Greensboro....however, since you didnt say where you are exactly...no telling what is near you..

Reply to
CBHvac

This is Turtle.

I bought a Briggs 3.5 H.P. Edger and had trouble with a front pulley and I call the toll free number to briggs and describe the parts and they sent me one by UPS and every bolt, screw, and washer it took to install it. They have every part you want and you descriobe what part it is and model number of engine and they got it. They charged me about $20.00 for it and the universial that did not fit cost me $12.00. Call them with model number and just pay about $2.00 for it and $4.00 to ship it to you. You can charge it on your dicover card too. I bought me a new one about 3 months ago and got tied of fixing the old one after 15 years of use.

Call Briggs and get a OEM bolt to fit it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

They got a website too, but you'll have to look it up. Just send an email and ask what the thread is, and if nothing else, order it from them. Also, a local mower/small engine shop may have one in stock. Look in your phone book for mowers or small engines.

Reply to
Who Me?

Every Briggs engine I have seen has SAE threads. This is probably 1/4-28 and is definitely standard (national fine), and any hardware store has

1/4-28 bolts. I am baffled that HD doesn't have these.

Reply to
donald girod

Non-standard screws are generally available in Nevada, Amsterdam, and throughout Mexico. They can be expensive. It kind of depends on exactly what you want.

Reply to
The Other Harry

HD has a poor hardware selection. They have the "standard" screws hanging in bags on the wall like 8-32, 10-24, 1/4-20 etc, then they have "standard" bolts in a similar fashion in the open bins below. The hardware store type boxes in between only hold specialty stuff like cotter pins, keys, c-rings, etc. They have no selection of tpi in a given size.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob