Soundproofing furnace

The OP might also look into getting a piece of duct with a rubber vibration "isolator", most sheet metal places can make them up for you fairly cheap.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I have a one story rancher. My NG furnace is in the attic above the family room. It is very noisy because it sits right on a 1/2" plywood platform on top of the floor joists in the attic.

I am replacing the furnace. What is the best way of making sure that the new furnace will be very quiet?

Carpet underlayment? Thicker plywood? Special soundproofing material? Put the furnace on springs?

Thank for any input

Reply to
Walter R.

See if they offer a furnace with a variable speed motor. Also, if the unit can be "hung" from the trusses OR vibration pads put under the unit my help ease the noise problem.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

May offer some helpful information and products.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Whatever you do make sure the furnace is not vibrating a panel. Carpet underlayment works well to reduce vibration transmission. Thicker, heavier, isolated are the key words.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon