Sound proofing a room

In addition to the bedroom I will be remodeling that I mentioned in another thread, I am also going to remodel another room to use as a small recording studio.

What's the best process and materials to sound proof the room? Any good web sites out there that explains how to do it?

I will also post on a couple of the recording newsgroups too.

Thanks, David

Reply to
hibb

I don't know the first thing about it, but on most pictures of recording studios I have seen, there appears to be a gray foam rubber on the walls that looks like egg crate.

Start Googling, and I bet you have a good idea in less than ten minutes. Then get your input from the other newsgroups and pick yer pony.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

There are many good web sites, and you can search the newsgroup's archives for many threads on the topic.

In a nutshell, sound travels by different mechanisms and the best method(s) for your particular situation will depend on the noise source, the current construction and location, and where you are trying to reduce the sound level.

RicodJour

On Sep 30, 9:30=A0am, hibb wrote:

Build a isolated dual wall system using 2x4 studs on 2x6 top and bottom plates, frame the "outside wall" oc 16 inches like normal, frame the "inside wall" oc 16 inches but offset the first stud by 8 inches. Drywall out and in with 5/8 drywall, some add another layer of drywall in the middle cavity fastened to the backside of the "outside" wall. This is the only reasonable way to isolate a room. Mass and/or mechanical isolation stops sound (not foam). Foam is used to treat reflections and absorb bass modes within the room. As for the "gray egg crates" mentioned in another post, real egg cartons are a fallicy seen in movies, they do nothing and are a BIG fire hazard, wont pass inspection. Open cell polyurethane foam is also a HUGE fire hazard, actually worse than egg cartons. The only class A fire rated material excellent for internal reflection control and for controling bass modes and boominess is rigid fiberglass panels (google Manville rigid fiberglass, whispertone, etc). Buy the rigid fierglass, cut panels, and upholster the panels in your favorite decorator fabric with a hot iron and spray glue, then hang them strategically based on SPL measurements taken with a tone sweep generator and real time room analyzer till you get flat frequency responce in the room. Another thing to consider is the heating duct work to the room if you have forced air heat (and AC). This will be the biggest nuisance, a heating contractor can flare the ducts to be quieter and isolate the furnace vibration from transmitting into the duct work. Also google "resilient strips" for hanging the ceiling drywall if you want to soundfroof the ceiling from the joists, again isolation is solving the problem (not foam or insulation). Google how to build the dual wall system I described above, it works great and only adds 2 inches to a wall thickness. You could put insulation in the walls but it will have little effect, however isolation and/or mass works best, so a dual wall with 5/8 or 3/4 inch drywall gets you more bang for the buck than insulation, a third layer of drywall in the cavity will make it super quiet.

I have a home recording studio too.

Reply to
windcrest

hibb wrote in news:4d8741cf-1af3-4f65-8a13- snipped-for-privacy@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com:

I built a home studion in my previous house.

What you want to do is isolate the room from the house. In effect, a room inside a room. To simulate this, I used resilient channels to hang a second layer of drywall offset from the first layer of drywall.

Used acoustic tile above with insulation batting above the tiles.

Last but not least, get a solid door - not a normal hollow slab door.

Larry

Reply to
GoHabsGo

Are you sure you want to do this? The world already has too much (alleged) music.

I'm sure yours will be fine, but it will have to fight through all the noise.

Perhaps an avocation with less competition would be more rewarding, say, new recipes involving broccoli?

Reply to
HeyBub

we used egg carton halves tacked all over the walls in the old days.

Reply to
skeeter

Double staggered stud walls, packed with Roxul Safe and Sound rock wool, with 5.8" GP DensArmor drywall on the studio side, fastened with construction adhesive and screws. Inner stud wall isolated from floor and ceiling with strips od Styrofoam SM or DriCore, and floor on SM Sheet. Ceiling insulated with Roxul and suspended - either accousic tile or heavy drywall(The dens-armor is a bitch to put on a ceiling but it will not resonate, drum, or retransmit.

Reply to
clare

Green Glue. You use two layers of drywall with a bead of Green Glue between. It dampens vibrations. I don't think there's another product like it.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

This is an anechoic chamber, best for single human voices but terrible for music and audibly poor for theatre etc. The OP's need is more probably to exclude noises from outside the room. This might be done by thick interior curtains.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Spray foam insulation to stop all air exchange, air movement carries noise.

theres special drywall that doesnt conduct sound..... and special acoustic tiles too.

there are pros that design such rooms.

care should be taken some foam is highly flammable

Reply to
bob haller

Checkout:

sligoNoSPAMjoe
.

Yes. Since I need to replace the drywall, I was only thinking about soundproofing the room from outside noises for now. I can address any acoustic problems within the room as needed.

Thanks, David

Reply to
Shy Picker

Thanks for the tip on some of the foam being highly flammable.

I will check into different types of drywall and insulation.

Reply to
Shy Picker

Wow, there is some good information there. I will have to see just how much of that I can or need to do in this small room.

Thanks, David

Reply to
Shy Picker

Looks like if I do that I won't have to strip out the old walls. I could just go into the installation of the second layer of drywall and ceiling tiles.

Thanks, David

Reply to
Shy Picker

Well, I'm not a professional musician any more and we don't travel much these days so it still sounds like a good hobby. My recordings would be mostly for family and friends, pity them, and post some on facebook and myspace and such.

David

Reply to
Shy Picker

I will have to learn more about that Roxul Safe and Sound rock wool.

Thanks, David

Reply to
Shy Picker

Interesting. I will have to learn more about that.

Reply to
Shy Picker

Thanks, I will check that out.

David