Solvent For Contact Cement ?

Hello,
What's a good solvent for removing some Contact Cement splatter ?
Some is fairly old.
Would hope that the solvent would not attack the paint surface which is a factory applied paint job to the trim pieces that have the "splatter".
Any suggestions ?
Thanks, Bob
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:30:09 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

What material is this? Metal? Plastic? I think they usually say to use acetone for cleanup, but I'd be worried about that on the paint and wouldn't use it on plastic. Some paint thinner might be better, I think most paints will tolerate that for some period of time, but I wouldn't leave it on too long. And try whatever you choose on a hidden spot first. Mineral spirits or gasoline would be other choices.
trader_4 wrote:

When i worked in the cabinet shops we used naphtha , sometimes with a dash of lacquer thinner to help soften the stuff . Old contact cement is going to be harder to remove ... you might try WD40 , it's basically a solvent .
--
Snag

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:30:09 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

acetone is a good solvent, but you might try goof off or goo gone
On 12/31/2015 8:39 AM, bob haller wrote:

Polar solvents like acetone will attack paint. Non-polar solvents like naphtha or gasoline would be best.

Mineral spirits, paint thinner, or naphtha.
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:30:09 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

3M makes an adhesive remover that says:
"Dissolve overspray of many adhesives used in countertop lamination"
Granted, it doesn't specifically mention Contact Cement, so it might be worth a phone call prior to purchase,
http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Adhesive-Remover-6041?NP02385+8709314+8709325+8710676+8710815+8711017+8718632+3293194081&rt=rud
You can try also lighter fluid such as Ronsonol - the kind used in cigarette lighters, not the kind used for charcoal.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ronsonol-lighter-fluid/ID=prod6021241-product
It will dissolve many adhesives without damaging the paint or plastic. I don't recall if I've ever tried it on Contact Cement but it is my go-to adhesive remover for stickers, tape, tape residue, etc.
Bob wrote:

Read the can. It will probably tell you to use paint thinner. Which is what I use and which won't hurt paint.