Solvent For Contact Cement ?

Hello,

What's a good solvent for removing some Contact Cement splatter ?

Some is fairly old.

Would hope that the solvent would not attack the paint surface which is a factory applied paint job to the trim pieces that have the "splatter".

Any suggestions ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

What material is this? Metal? Plastic? I think they usually say to use acetone for cleanup, but I'd be worried about that on the paint and wouldn't use it on plastic. Some paint thinner might be better, I think most paints will tolerate that for some period of time, but I wouldn't leave it on too long. And try whatever you choose on a hidden spot first. Mineral spirits or gasoline would be other choices.

Reply to
trader_4

When i worked in the cabinet shops we used naphtha , sometimes with a dash of lacquer thinner to help soften the stuff . Old contact cement is going to be harder to remove ... you might try WD40 , it's basically a solvent .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

acetone is a good solvent, but you might try goof off or goo gone

Reply to
bob haller

Polar solvents like acetone will attack paint. Non-polar solvents like naphtha or gasoline would be best.

Reply to
Frank

Bob wrote in news:n633f0$oc5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Mineral spirits, paint thinner, or naphtha.

Reply to
Doug Miller

3M makes an adhesive remover that says:

"Dissolve overspray of many adhesives used in countertop lamination"

Granted, it doesn't specifically mention Contact Cement, so it might be worth a phone call prior to purchase,

You can try also lighter fluid such as Ronsonol - the kind used in cigarette lighters, not the kind used for charcoal.

It will dissolve many adhesives without damaging the paint or plastic. I don't recall if I've ever tried it on Contact Cement but it is my go-to adhesive remover for stickers, tape, tape residue, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Read the can. It will probably tell you to use paint thinner. Which is what I use and which won't hurt paint.

Reply to
dadiOH