Solution To Bad Smell In House - Feb 15 Post

Subject Bad Smell In House Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:27:56 -050
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Our friends have noticed a very bad smell--like that a dead animal...coming from somewhere in the dining room of their home. It's been very strong for a month now. They don't smell it in the basement below the room or in the attic above. The smell is too strong to be coming from a mouse. I've smelled it and it definitely smells like rotting flesh. They're thinking it could be a squirrel or similar animal that became trapped inside the wall...but they can't determine the exact location by sniffing along the wall.
Two questions:
1. Is there some sort of "smell detection" device can help them find the exact location of the smell?
2. Is this something that their homeowner's insurance would cover?
Thanks! Scott
P.S. A black cat has gone missing.
Hi, I wanted to update everyone about this problem, which I first posted in February. The bad smell has been located.
A few days ago, a couple of construction friends of my homeowner friend came over and removed a section of sheetrock from the corner of the dining room closest to the garage. Right away, they spotted a long line of beetles moving inside the wall. They followed the beetles upward to see where they were feeding. They found a large, black, dead cat lodged in the wall. It looks like the cat entered through the garage and entered the wall (it was wintertime in Minnesota) between the ceiling of the dining room and the floor of the bedroom above....and he got trapped. This explains why the smell didn't go away, even after five months.
I told my friend just a few weeks ago to borrow the neighbor's hunting dog to sniff arouond, but he didn't take action. He's at work all day, and his wife stays home, so it wasn't so urgent for him. Anyway, a couple of construction worker friends from church convinced him to open up the sheetrock, and the mystery was solved.
I'm really glad they won't have to put up with that lousy smell any more. Sometimes, you just have to get in there and tear things apart.
Thanks for all your suggestions! Scott
[...]

Now that you posted this, PETA will be after you for animal cruelty. You might even be arrested if they can manage to find you guilty, and they will. You may as well go to www.peta.org and confess to them . They might let you off easily for admitting that you murdered that cat.

Had he found it right away in February, it would have made a nice romantic dinner for Valentine's Day.
Scott wrote:

[...]
How many times do you need to post this thing?
Bob
Bob wrote:

Bob,
Sorry, it was a mistake. The first two postings weren't quite right. Apparently, when I "cancel" a message that I've posted, it only cancels it on my computer and not on everyone elses. Kind of defeats the purpose of cancelling a message.
Scott
Stop farting !
Scott wrote:

Did you check the stove?
In my case, a large mouse had crawled (tried to crawl) up the back of my stove. From his position, it looked like it had touched it's nose to electrical panel - underneath where the electrical cord splits and rovides power to the stove - and the mouse zapped himself to death. Luckily for me, causing no damage to the stove.
Of course I had to pull out the stove, disconnect the side panel, etc....
Scott wrote:

Update:
Well, here it is September 9th, and the homeowner tells me that the smell is now completely gone.
Scott