Solar powered post light

I'm going to install a post light by my driveway. I've been thinking of installing a solar powered one ( no wires to bury, no operating costs, etc.) Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences? I'm concerned about the light output (I know it won't be as bright as a 100 watt bulb but I also don't want one that looks like a 99 cent nightlight either). Thanks in advance. Tony

Reply to
tony weikert

The only caveat I can think of is to be sure the solar grid gets enough sun-lit time for max brightness. My son's multi setup along the front path gets varying sun-lit time because of tree shadows, and results in varying brightness and longevity at various locations.

Reply to
PanHandler

I don't understand the need for lights on columns at driveway entrances. Cars have headlights that work just fine to illuminate the column. I'm amazed at people who will put up a 100W bulb which produces tremendous glare and think they are accomplishing something. Instead of helping a driver see better, the light and glare actually obstruct the view of anyone trying to enter the driveway and it can even limit the vision of people just driving by at night. Shielded lights are better, but they still require electricity and maintenance.

How about a passive reflector? Simple, cheap, and no solar cells required.

Reply to
Tim Killian

I'm not sure he was talking about a light at the entrance. The usual place for a post light _by_ a driveway is where the front walk meets the driveway. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

The solar lights I've seen don't last very long - not even until you go to bed (unless you go to bed at 9). You might not have light when you need it.

RicodJour

If you don't want to pay for a permanent install, trenches, switch control in house, etc, why not just buy some 12 volt lighting? It's easy to run the wiring in a shallow trench and have a photocell or timer controller/transformer that plugs into an outdoor outlet.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber