So let the rains come down...

"[EAGLE POINT, OR] Gary Harrington was also fined more than $1,500 for nine misdemeanor convictions for filling his reservoirs with rain and snow runoff that the state says is owned by the Medford Water Commission. He was given two weeks to report to the Jackson County Jail to begin serving his [30 day] sentence."

HeyBub

I have a hard time with this. Rain falls on my property, I should be able to do whatever I want with it. Save it, boil it, let it run. It just seems to be a government grab of private property.

If he was diverting water from streams outside of his property, then guilty. I hope a judge has some common sense.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

typically in colorado, people downstream own the water rights of the rainshed above them. people don't actually own the water that rains on their property in CO.

Reply to
chaniarts

On 7/27/2012 4:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

In general what stays there on its own volition but most jurisdictions don't allow collection/diversion from the established flow...at least other than in some instances existing practice may have been grandfather'ed in when later modifications to existing or new water law were/was made.

So, if his property has a natural lake he's ok; he digs one or builds a dam and not so much (at least w/o the hoops, etc.) ...

--

Reply to
dpb

Typical state Real Property Law says you own everything above your property, to a reasonable extent and everything below the surface, again to a reasonable extent. The legal concept of "capture" further says you own anything that wanders into your land (such as deer), again subject to reasonable restrictions.

Reply to
HeyBub

in many states, land owners don't own any mineral rights under their land.

Reply to
chaniarts

On 7/27/2012 4:52 PM, HeyBub wrote: ...

--

Reply to
dpb

He just needs to put in a really big parking lot then he HAS to build a retention pond (g)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Here in Alabamastan, my father bought the mineral rights to the family farm so many years ago when he bought the property, otherwise a coal company could have strip mined the mountainside with impunity and a bunch of big machines. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yeah, there'd surely be no hoops in _that_ exercise... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Land of Liberty, Land of the Free my ass.

That kind of shit doesn't happen in Canada.

Reply to
House Man

That could be true but either a) Somewhere upstream the land was sold without the mineral rights or b) By state law, the mineral rights are owned by the state.

I'd be surprised if you could show an example of the latter.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 7/27/2012 8:11 PM, HeyBub wrote: ...

Colorado.

Reply to
dpb

I'd be _very_ surprised if their surface water rights aren't very similar...

Reply to
dpb

Bullshit

Ed Pawlowski

if there was enogh water for everyone, no one would care!

there are preliminary plans for a big canal from the great lakes to provide water to the west.

If the drought continues this canal or ocean desalinazition will be necessary for california, nevada, arizonia plus irrigation water for much of the country.........

when food prices get high enough and citys like las vegas begin to go dry it will get approved.

lake mead that provides water to nevada is 1/2 empty. and nearly all the ground water in nevada is contaminated with radiation from nuclear bomb testing.......

look for proposals for the largest US infrastructure project ever........

Reply to
bob haller

Fuck 'em!

Water is like broadband service...if you ain't got it where you live, move!

Reply to
Jerrod

You have to know the facts in this case. You can't just read the attention grabbing headlines.

In Oregon (where I live) many, if not most, communities depend on snow melt from the mountains for their water supplies. To a lesser extent, rainwater also contributes some water. I live in one of these communities.

This water eventually gets to the communities via streams and rivers. Individuals cannot be allowed to disrupt the water supply by building dams and other obstructions. That's what this guy is doing.

He says he is only collecting rain and snow melt from his property ¡V that's a bunch of bullshit. He's just a selfish, cantankerous asshole who doesn't care for the community he lives in.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

House Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@guy.net:

Canadian "Human Rights Commission";and Mark Steyn's book.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

There is no mention of "rain" in that document.

========= Limited uses, such as for domestic use, are permitted without a license.

Domestic uses on the land are not limited in quantity. Additionally, water for irrigation or manufacture on the land is permitted as long as the water is returned to its source in similar quantity and quality after use. =========

Reply to
Daring Houseman