Snow plowing questions (truck snowplow)

I am contemplating purchase of a nice snowplow (truck attachment). I am in SE Wisconsin. I have a few questions

- Can I plow with a 4WD Dodge RAM 1500?

- Can I plow with a 2WD Dodge RAM 350?

- How much could I make on a snowy day? Can I expect to make money by driving around and offering my services to merchants etc?

thanks

Aaron!

Reply to
valuableaaron

Yes.

Yes.

How much snow?

What kind of services?

Reply to
RayV

Yes

Yes, but not as easily as a 4wd in the deep stuffor steep hills Serious plow ruck drivers will call you a sissy.

Most merchants have a contract or agreement well before the first flake falls. If Bob . Bill or Sven, has been reliable for the past ten years, he is not likely to change. Homeowners vary a bit more. Some have agreements also, others don't but in really deep stuff will be happy to pay for a plow. It can take a few years to get known and get a following.

Pricing is usually based on depth. Some will not plow unless there is two inches. then they charge a flat fee up to 6", then additional for 6 to 12, etc. You have to know what to do with the snow so it does not block the street, or pile up on the new hedges, etc. You want to carry insurance to. Scrape off the fill of an in ground oil tank you have problems.

If you know someone in the business, you can offer your services if extra help is needed and work as a subcontractor.

If you buy the plow for personal use, you may be able to make a few bucks, but don't count on it for a few years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes and yes.

about $80 an hour here in the KC area. Make sure you have a couple million dollars of liability insurance.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT