Snow blower drift cutters

Does anyone have drift cutters for their snow blower? Do they work? They look like steel bars on either side of the blower housing, but I'm not clear how they keep tall snow from falling over the blower unit. My blower doesn't seem to have holes for mounting them, but I could add them if it is a worthwhile option to buy.
I have a Sears Craftsman (Murray) unit that is adequate for my needs, but once in a while there is some tall snow that is higher than the front end of the unit.
I usually get someone ahead of me with a shovel to knock the drift down ( wife). Tom

Jim wrote:

Yes, I have them. I stole the ones off a single stage I trashed and put em on my new (used) 2-stage. They work great. Yes, the snow does fall on the machine but so what...it is built to take it. I have had enough fall to short out the plug but just clear it away, fire up again and back to work.
Harry K
The one's I have need to be loosened/tightened using a wrench each time you want to use them. I find them to be quite useless when they are up as the machine's vibration is enough to loosen the nut holding them up, and constantly causing them to drop. fuhgeddaboudit!

Jim Conway wrote:

Lock washers or both them and locktight should solve that problem.
Harry K