Snoblower belt slipping

Yes, belts stretch (and, having stretched glaze) w/ time...

The owner's manual will provide the correct size (both cross section and length) although unless the present ones are badly deteriorated you should be able to read the size code off the belt. Any decent-sized auto supply should be able to match it, assuming it isn't some special cross section...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This is a continuation of my yesterday's thread. I have a 24" Bolens snowblower. It had a problem with not throwing snow far enough. a suggestion was made that it is because of slipping belt, and it was in fact correct.

So, I tensioned the bell some more by adjusting tension on some spring to the max.

It now works better, but not as well as it could, throwing snow maybe

8 feet instead of like 20. The belt still slips, but a little less.

This is an old belt. Could it lengthen due to time etc? Would replacing it with a new belt make any sense?

The belts I thought would fit, are of wrong size unfortunately. Are they available at auto stores?

I need something like 1/2" by 36" V belt.

Ignoramus7928

Thanks! Sounds like a good basis for a plan!

I will report my results tonight.

Ignoramus7928

If it has been slipping, it may have become hard and glazed. Once that occurs, no amount of adjustment will really fix it. To find a belt like that, you would do better at some place that sells yard equipment or tractors. Those belts are not usually automotive sizes. Bring the old belt, and they can measure it and give you a belt that is the length and width your original was before it wore out.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Thanks BB. I will call my automotive store first, and if it does not work, I will start looking for a garden tractor dealer.

Ignoramus7928

I called our Napa auto parts, they do have 1/2" belts. I will start with that one.

Ignoramus7928

You can also keep a slipping belt in service for awhile longer. Spray it with "belt dressing". Comes in a can and I keep one in my garage. Berend there for over 20 years but has been used several times over the years.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

For my lawn mower drive belt, I was told by an experienced repair man, to be sure the belt is "power rated". One of two auto supply stores was unable to meet this specification. I presume some belts are made for light duty, like fans, and should be avoided.

Reply to
SJF

Thanks, an awesome suggestion. I will probably use both new belts and the dressing. Napa also has it, Ijust called them. i

Reply to
Ignoramus7928

On 1/6/2005 11:27 AM US(ET), Ignoramus7928 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I looked for a long belt for a tractor mounted snowblower a couple of years ago. I inquired at an authorized service for the belt. They did not have on on hand, and cross referenced it with a Gates belt that I could pick up at an automotive store a few miles away. They gave me the part number and told me that the belt would be green cloth covered. Don't know if the green cloth made any more difference than the usual black clothed belts. I did get the green one.

Reply to
willshak

As with many things, size alone isn't everything. Many belts, especially smaller ones, are rated, or described as "fractional horsepower", and are intended to be used for small electric motors, such as the blower on a home furnace.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Sounds like the prostate is going.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

CAUTION: There are different types of "belt dressing"s available. Some, like the ones to quiet down automotive belts, will actually make the belt slipperier and it'll slip more. You want the kind that makes the belts "stick" to the pulleys. Be sure to check. The best-stuck belt on a pulley will make noise; but who cares on something as noisy as a sno-blo.

I know: I had one of each and grabbed the wrong one for the mower deck last summer. Belt ran nice and quiet, though!

Got an old flourescent light xfmr ballast around? Disassemble it and work out the goop inside it from around the windings. Warm it, roll it into a thick candle shape, and hold against the running belts. Works as good as the best "dressing" you can buy! A glob of it lasts forever. After that little mixup, I made my own from an old ballast for an 8' light fixture. If you DO slip the belt though, it'll stink to high heavens!

Pop

Reply to
Pop

My pants belt is slipping. Oops, lookie there.

Reply to
Stephen King

"Stephen King" wrote

Reminds me of the worm farm I had as a kid. Only smaller.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

My goodness! Why do you have spaghetti in your pants

Reply to
Colbyt