smoking light bulbs

We have two sconce lights on our wall. Each has a single light bulb (the candleabra) style. I put the bulbs in a few years ago and have never had an issue (the bulbs were within the wattage range for the fixtures. The last two times the lights have been on for a few hours the bulbs begin to emit a burning smell and small pufts of smoke is coming off the bulbs. The fixture itself is still cool to the touch (as is the part mounted the the wall). The bulbs have a filmy/sticky feel to them now...
My assumption is my wife must have sprayed something near them and whatever it is coated the bulbs and is burning off.... Sound reasonable? She can't recall though. Any other reason two fixtures that have worked flawlessly for several years (with the original bulbs still in them) would suddenly have this issue? I have a TV on the same circuit and its fine...
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

Take the bulbs out and wash them? That should solve any questions of gunk on the glass heating up. (Do dry them before putting them back, of course....) Only other place the Magic Smoke could be escaping from is the insulation on the wires in the bulb base- it can be scorching and outgassing even if the metal parts are cool to the touch. Flip the breaker, take the fixtures down, and eyeball them outside in bright light, looking where the wires enter fixture from box, and especially where the wires enter the ceramic or plastic socket and are screwed or soldered to the screw base. (You may have to partially disassemble them to see that area.)
But I am not an electrician, so take this advice for what it is worth. -- aem sends...

I think your assumption is correct. Sometimes the plastic sleeves that go over the "candle" of the fixture are too tall and burn against the bulb, but it seems more likely that something was sprayed on them and is burning off

Unless they are dangerous junk, they shouldn't do a thing even if touching the bulb while the bulb is in an insulated blanket. The bulb should blow out before the sleaves do anything.
Step one: cut the breaker, and clean the sockets (make sure the lights go out w/ the breaker before removing the bulbs), then start with all new bulbs. A q-tip with rubbing alcohol should be sufficient. Use contact cleaner if you have it.
Nomad wrote:

Yes, but fixture materials can take the heat unless they are absolute rubbish.

<SNIP to here>

There is rubbish out there where things out of alignment due to being loose can make things too hot.
I see all too much rubbish in general sold for home lighting. I have even seen a banker's lamp style desk lamp produce a burning odor from charring wiring while being used as directed with nothing out of place. (Apparently tested where line voltage is 230V and 60W version of that shape/size/style bulb usually has a vacuum, while in USA the 60 watt version of that bulb is usually gas-filled.)
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

When a woman says she can't recall, she must be ill. Women never forget.

Mistakes they make themselves, they either don't notice in the first place, forget quickly, or rationalize that they're not mistakes.
;^)
EL
Eric wrote:

I stand corrected.
Which is to be expected inasmuch as women try diligently to keep us from making mistakes in the first place ("Why don't you stop and ask directions?" or "You're not going out wearing THAT, are you?")
HeyBub wrote:

Easy way to avoid the second... fill your entire closet with jeans, khakis, and black t-shirts.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

In his book, "Dress for success," Malloy had a short section on how to dress to please women.
"Let one woman dress you and you will be outfitted to please all women."
As to your suggestion regarding black T-shirts, I refer you to:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/25/nyregion/25towns.html
Which the author says will re-grow hair and land you a starring role in a kung-fu romantic comedy movie.

As it should be.
Put a smoking cessation patch on it.

Could that stickyness be nicotine? (Shot in the dark)
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:03:39 -0700 (PDT), grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

That's simple to solve. Put a NO SMOKING sign next to the light fixture.

Close your windows. I'm not kidding.
It's spring, right?
You've got windows and doors open more often, right?
Bugs are attracted to lights, right?
Sizzle, fry, smoke and smell.
Happens quite often at my house.