Smoke Detector Brand Question (BRK ?)

Hello:
Was just at Ace Hardware, and saw they were selling Familt Gard brand ionization Smoke Detectors for only $ 5.50
Said on the box that they are manufactured by some outfit called BRK Brands in Illinois. They are mfg. in Mexico.
I saw that BRK also has some AC powered units being sold under their own names.
All are UL approved They also have a seal on the box from the State Of Calif Fire Marshal.
Never heard of BRK.
For only $ 5.50, I can't help wondering.
Are these reputable units ? Are they "probably" safe and O.K. to use ?
Why so cheap compared to Kidde and First alert for comparable styles? Any history on ?
Any thoughts on would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

I was given this recommendation for smoke detectors. Replace every 10 years (per NFPA) or till the warranity runs out (per common sense), which ever is sooner (per safety). So I go for the manufacturer that stands behind their product the most, by offering longer warrantees.
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com