"Smart" thermostat

Page 2 of 2
When it comes to thermostats, K.I.S.S. is the best feature! :)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not interested in saving energy cost a bit and improving indoor comfort year round? If not, I am sure K.I.S.S one will do.
Tony Hwang wrote: " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not interested in saving energy cost a bit and improving indoor comfort year round? If not, I am sure K.I.S.S one will do. "
My KISS is a 4-stage digital programmable Honeywell, thank you very much. No "smart learning" gimmickery included.

Sounds like mine. I have it set to come on 15 minutes before the alarm goes off. Warm enough. By the time my wife gets up it is at temperature.
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 11:58:20 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I wouldn't call adaptive recovery a gimmick. Implemented correctly, as in the VisionPro series, it works very well. If you're using set-back, the alternatives are either:
1 - Have it set to change to the "wake" temp at the earliest it ever needs to, ie for the coldest nights. If you do that, then most of the time the furnace is going to start a lot earlier, probably an hour plus earlier than it needs to.
2 - Put up with the house still being cold when you get up on those cold mornings.
3 - Change the programmed time, depending on how cold it's going to be those nights.
Adaptive recovery takes care of that, it also works for AC, when that is set back. As I said, mine hits the target time, closely, always getting there by the time it's supposed to.
On 16 Jan 2015, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in alt.home.repair:

I like simple, but this one won't control my AC.
On 1/16/2015 5:42 PM, Nil wrote:

did cooling.
alt.home.repair:

Hopefully I'll know in a few days. I returned and replaced my questionable thermostat and installed the new one last night. I think it may have come on at a more reasonable time this morning, but I didn't manage to rouse myself to know for sure.
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 1:51:55 PM UTC-5, Nil wrote:

That's good, let us know how it works in a few more days.
I was at HD today, took a look for the new Honeywell knock off of the Nest. They have it, $280. I don't know exactly what it does or doesn't do, how it compares to the Nest. But it apparently can track your location via your smartphone, so that if it thinks you're on the way home, it will resume the normal heat/cooling, ie get the temp adjusted for you. That's kind of cool, but how well it works, how it differentiates with multiple people in the house etc, IDK. I wouldn't be the first to buy it, that's for sure.
On 1/17/2015 5:33 PM, trader_4 wrote:

At that price I'm not going to find out either. With two zones that would be $560. Do you really need all the fancy features? I'd rather put that money towards the oil bill.
alt.home.repair:

My HD seemed to be really pushing the Nests hard - there were standing displays all over the store, not just near the other thermostats. I read up on them a bit, and I see lots of complaints and comments about that that give me the feeling that their technology isn't fully refined or reliable. They sure do look hi-tech and cool, but you pay extra for the look.
I didn't notice any Nest knock-offs, but I'm not surprised.
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 6:01:03 PM UTC-5, Nil wrote:

IDK if Nest has fixed their problems, but from what I saw a year or more ago, it looked like a disaster to me. They rely on power stealing, which apparently led them to put FETS in the base or something instead of using a relay. I saw lots of reports of them shorting out, with the heat or AC running non-stop. A lot of other problems too. Even worse, from what I read, there is no real definition of how it works, what it does, how it learns, etc. A lot of people saying that it was doing strange things that they had no control over. My conclusion was that it looked nice, but I wouldn't want one.
trader_4 wrote: "- show quoted text - IDK if Nest has fixed their problems, but from what I saw a year or more ago, it looked like a disaster to me. They rely on power stealing, which apparently led them to put FETS in the base or something instead of using a relay. I saw lots of reports of them shorting out, with the heat or AC running non-stop. A lot of other problems too. Even worse, from what I read, there is no real definition of how it works, what it does, how it learns, etc. A lot of people saying that it was doing strange things that they had no control over. My conclusion was that it looked nice, but I wouldn't want one. "
I rest my case. No need to reinvent the wheel.
On 17 Jan 2015, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

You have a case?
Nil wrote: "You have a case? "
Get the F off my back - N0NE!