Smaller size

My electric motor on my pool pump met its death.It was a 3/4 motor and weighed about 15 lbys or so.115v and 9.5 AMPS. I purchased a replacement pool pump with a 1 hp motor. 110V 6.2 amps.This motor is half the weight and the item is manufactured in China. Is this possible or have I been ripped .

no its the way of the world, the new motor is likely stamped steel and welded closed. never designed to be serviced bearings replaced etc.......
so cheap when it fails just toss it.......
my best friend looked into this upgraded HP a little and is very pleased.
costs less to make stuff in china, low wages, 3 dollar american a day pay etc.
political prisoners in jails work even cheaper, just for food to survive. no work no eat.........
It is really hard to say. There are many ways of measuring horsepower. In real live the 3/4 motor may have more power than the 1 HP model. Then things like the working RPM, the efficiency of the pump design and the quality of the motor and pump are not known. Even two equal quality pumps may not be designed to move the same volume of water or to move it against the same pressure etc.
It has been my experience and the experience of many others that many of the products from China are of low quality, but there are exceptions.
Good Luck.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 05:52:54 -0700 (PDT), metronid

Pumps are like air compressors "effective HP" is a BS number. This should have come with a performance chart listing GPM at a given head. That is how you size a pool pump. If you have a suction gauge and a pressure gauge on your system it gives you a good reference. There are several sites that will tell you about pool hydraulics
metronid wrote:

Chinese, in general, are smaller than Westerners.

Those are "Sears" horsepower, not real horsepower. Unless the laws of physics have changed the only way you will get 1 hp from a motor that draws 6.2 amps is to drop it from a great height.
beecrofter wrote:

Roughly:
110V x 6.2A = 682Watts x 1HP/746Watts = 0.914 HP
Which, with suitable rounding, is, er, about one horsepower.

Its possible it wont pump enough to clean the pool or move the boiler water properly. Its a 6.2amp pump, the old one was 9.5amp, there should be a spec sheet with it, hopefully its in english english.

gpm is 55 H( m) 16 KW0.75 HP 1.0 IP 55.0 RPM 3450