Small high pressure tank

Page 1 of 2
I just visited my mechanic yesterday and had a chat with him. Again, I noticed a device he has which is a pressurized tank that he uses as a sort of custom aerosol. He can fill it part way with some solution and pressurize it up to over 100 PSI and spray from it. I guess it is about 1/2 gallon capacity. It's shaped like a fat version of those small propane tanks.
I've looked for something like this in vain at my local auto parts store - Kragen. My mechanic tells me he bought it from a Wurth distributor who used to visit his shop every month or so. He tells me that he thinks that Kent may also distribute or make one. He figures he paid around $50 for his.
I want this as a sort of high performance cleaning tool. They were recommended to me as such. I have the Dust Off stuff they sell at Costco, but the pressure's pretty weak out of those. I figure I can use my tire inflator to pump 100 PSI into it, if I can get one. Does anyone know a good place where I can pick up one of these? I live in Berkeley, CA. Thanks!
Dan
Check out http://www.mcmaster.com/ they have all sorts of stuff use sprayer for the search.
Wayne

try a tire.. pump it up and you got a small tank.
randy

xrongor wrote:

... Randy, soon's you get a tire pumped to 100+ psi, let us know, OK? Report in each time you reinflate it, please; we'll consider sending flowers.
Pop

you dont need 100psi to blow off some dust.. you dont need to use a car tire...
you do need to use your head though..
randy

Truck tires are customarily inflated to 100 psi . . . -Tock

dont bother. some people are here just to find 'flaws' in the ideas of others and have no interest in facts.
randy
i use a plastic pump up w/ tank type , mine has an adapter on the tank for connecting a garden hose to fill w. Inside that fitting is a check valve, i use mey compressors' blow gun and fill so i don't need to pump.
Ohh ya, only costs around 25-30.00
Whew, that sounds like very dangerous advice to me - a tyre blowing out with a 100lb/in or pressure is a very lethal weapon - a guy was killed a while back when a tyre let go wiht no where near that amount of pressure.
David - who is horrified that someone would actually suggest something so dangerous
xrongor wrote:

sigh.
a) lo and behold, some tires are actually rated for 100psi. find a source for these tires to prove it to yourself. b) who said you need 100 psi to make a glorified can of air for blowing dust? specifically when did i say it? c) lets see your cite for this exploding tire.
randy

xrongor wrote:

Chill...while he shewed lack of knowldege, tires <do> burst rather more frequently than one might hope...that's why truck tires are remounted in the heavy cages...to capture potential shrapnel...
It was really much worse in the days of old split rims, but that wasn't so much the tire exploding as the locking ring not holding...
On 12/31/2004 9:35 AM US(ET), Duane Bozarth took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I was a truck mechanic for a short while back in the late 50s. One of my least favorite jobs was changing a split ring truck tire. I would place the wheel on a work bench and then inflate it while I ducked down next to the workbench with only my one hand, holding the inflater, above the tire. Fortunately, I never had one blow off, but I only did a few of them.
--
Bill

xrongor wrote:

Sure, I'll take your word for that, but the idiot that suggested inflating the tyre to that level didn't bother pointing out that it would be necessary to hunt around for a tyre that would handle that sort of pressure.

I think the OP said he wanted that sort of pressure

I was at the hospital when his wife came in after being informed - the guy was inflating a (front) tractor tyre after a repair when it let go. Not nice at all. Local paper carried the story.
David

quietguy wrote:

People are insane. What was the deal, someone said that a piece of rubber from a tire that blew up with only, I don't know, thirty or forty pounds, took out a car window. I think there's a lesson there but what do I know.
--

Personally, I believe that 9/11 should have taught us the lesson that we
can't let these countries simmer endlessly in disillusionment without

Just to add a little of the ponderable stuff for the many "naysayers" on the tire being Extreeeeemely dangerous. Let's explore what we're dealing with.
Basically the 100# of pressure would be pretty high but we'll use that as the example. That number is meant as PSI, or pounds of pressure per square inch. I am not even the mathematician type, but I can look at a tire/tyre, and see there is more than one square inch of surface,................on the outside, that gives me a feel for the inside area also. Noting all that was said in the previous paragraph, poorly structured as it is, I can plainly tell there's a bit more than 10 square inches of area on the average wheel barrow tire/tyre ( A HUGE AMOUNT MORE ) At Just 10 square inches, the PSI stated above, 100PSI, is now applied evenly accross all of the area of the tire...............comes to an awe inspiring 1000pounds of pressure over that small stated area.Just 10 Square inches! Amazing. I have never seen a tire so small, not even on a bicycle. So imagine what the area inside of a typical 205/95r15 would be and apply the same principal at a mere 32-45PSI. We'll use the area of the surface for our experiment no sidewall calculation in the area...........watch..............
If the tire is a 205, that's tread width. We'll convert that metric number of mm to inches .........let's see...........8.1in. then we can figure the height of the tire at 95% width per sidewall, ............there's two of those...........let's see..........7.695in., and don't forget, two of those, makes it 15.39in. plus the rim size of 15in. equals..........ok30.39in hieght on the tire/tyre. Now we can figure the circumference (the easy way for me is Pi =3.14) diameter mutiplied by radius is circumference( If I remember correctly).............so 3.14 times 30.39 = 95.42...........roughly. this is just to make a point, not to be a math wizard.........so we move on..................our 95.42 is the circumference of the tire/tyre, now we need to multiply that by the width of the tread, which as we calculated earlier from metric to inches, was 8.1 inches...........that leaves us with a number close to 773 square inches............a bunch more than the 10 inches of area we had before. lets use a small number for the pressure calculation here. Let's say we like a pretty mushy, ride, not too sporty, we run 30 psi (of course that'll ruin our tire/tyre pretty quick, but once again this is just for fun) The big picture is coming into focus now, No? 773 square inches area JUST ON THE TREAD AREA, at 30 PSI is now calculated to.............23190 pounds of pressure total!..........A Huge Amoount of pressure ! Every 1 Psi adds another 773 pounds of pressure looking for a weak spot.............capiche?
I know you can at least use a calculator to check my math. So go ahead.........it's not exact, but it is *very* representative.
I think there are many crazy folks out there too. Try not to take it too seriously though, cause some of them crazy bastards are WAY RIGHT in their fears of power............be it electric, be it air, be it water, be it politiical, be it any type of power, it is all the same stuff...........POWER.............to be reckoned with for sure, all of it.
I can go on if this doesn't make much of an impresion. You should calculate the inside of an airplane at 14.47psi.............HOLY COW!
However, the lesson to be learned should be apparent.
(all of this post was made with a toungue and cheek type of feeling, not to be anything more than informative and fun )
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
"MUADIB" wrote:

NO, pressure times area ==> force, <not> another pressure...
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:20:07 -0600, Duane Bozarth

I stand Corrected..............Thank you sir. ( hell, I knew that, I just got all fluatsered by the Lack of concern shown by another)
Thanks again.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

Harbor Freight sells them.
:
: :> I just visited my mechanic yesterday and had a chat with him. Again, I :> noticed a device he has which is a pressurized tank that he uses as a :> sort of custom aerosol. He can fill it part way with some solution and :> pressurize it up to over 100 PSI and spray from it. I guess it is about :> 1/2 gallon capacity. It's shaped like a fat version of those small :> propane tanks. :> :> I've looked for something like this in vain at my local auto parts store :> - Kragen. My mechanic tells me he bought it from a Wurth distributor who :> used to visit his shop every month or so. He tells me that he thinks :> that Kent may also distribute or make one. He figures he paid around $50 :> for his. :> :> I want this as a sort of high performance cleaning tool. They were :> recommended to me as such. I have the Dust Off stuff they sell at :> Costco, but the pressure's pretty weak out of those. I figure I can use :> my tire inflator to pump 100 PSI into it, if I can get one. Does anyone :> know a good place where I can pick up one of these? I live in Berkeley, :> CA. Thanks! :> :> Dan : :Harbor Freight sells them. : Yeah! That's it! I actually first heard of this from a guy at a machine shop who fixed an old motor of mine. He said he thought I should think about getting myself a Sure Shot pressurizable tank to clean out the motor when I needed to (and similar tasks). I looked at Kragen Auto Parts, asked my mechanic, checked out a few other local places and couldn't find anything.
Harbor Freight sells the Sure Shot itself:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber1058
Thanks!!!