slurry coat driveway

Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive in SoCal)
thank you, OD

I seal ever 2 years....... my driveway is now over 23 years old.
if i hadnt sealed it would be a potholed mess

I do mine every 150 years. Anything sooner is a waste of money and too much hard work. Only thing I do is fill any cracks.

Never. Parent's driveway has never been coated, and it was installed 27 years ago. They live near Buffalo NY.

california has little freeze thaw, but likely sun damage.
UV can be tough on everything.
to me its cheap insurance
My driveway is about five years old and getting "dry," starting to crack, etc. It is over 4,000 sq.ft, though, has "curbs," so the estimates I have are over a thousand dollars to patch and slurry seal. I was just hoping that it is more like a once every five years rather than every two years.
We live on a private road where the neighborhood organization pays to slurry coat our road, the city slurry coats the streets here, so maybe as hallerb noted, we get a lot of UV here in SoCal and it could be cooking the life out of the asphalt.
best,
OD

california has little freeze thaw, but likely sun damage.
UV can be tough on everything.
to me its cheap insurance

call the company that does the neighborhood road, that contractor being already on site is likely the lowest cost to do your driveway.....
because of time, cost, and weather i skipped a coating and the surface detoriated fast, in 4 years.
i may coat it twice this year, frankly the newer water based coatings arent as good as the old coal tar based ones.... IMHO
Better yet, catch the crew when they're doing the road, and throw them some cash....

We do reserve studies for homeowner's associations. It is typical to have slurry coat applied every five years. But that is for a residential property with heavy traffic. Also, the techniques used as well as the materials have a great deal to do with how long it lasts.
A lot of them now are going to the new process called open grade paving of shaving the top inch or so of paving, mixing it with some new goop and relaying it all in one process. It improves the ability of the paving to shed water, and has better UV protection. Surprisingly, it is cheaper, too.
Steve
Steve
ya, and i'll bet it's in fine shape... NOT

and you should do it when you have no better use for money. (UV is hard on pavement?! Amazing.)