Sliding door track on ceramic tile

How can we install a closet sliding door track onto a ceramic tile floor? We had our bathroom vinyl floor replaced with ceramic tile. The louver doors and the bottom track were removed, but now we need to put them back. (I guess we [and the tiler we hired] should have thought of that before.)

Is it risky to drill holes in the tile? It would be quite a hassle if the tiles cracked. What alternatives ways are there for securing the track? I thought of using L-brackets from the door frame to secure a strip of wood to where the track would go, then screwing the track itself to that wood. The wood strip would probably have to be at least 1/2" thick though, which would make a tight fit for the height of the actual door.

Reply to
gplantam

Drill small holes in the grout lines , then use self tapping screws( like sheetrock screws) to secure the track.

Reply to
Mikepier

Can you cement it down with construction cements? I'm sure there are cements on the market that will hold it a good or better than screws. Do a bit of asking your building supplier. Jack

Reply to
Jack

To your point. Isn't that how the lower track of sliding glass shower doors are installed on bath tubs? I'd go for cement before trying anything else. MLD

Reply to
MLD

It is a simple matter to drill the floor tiles. Much depends on the type of ceramic tiles you have installed and what is under the tiles, concrete or wood floor?

Reply to
EXT

Not sure why everyone's saying to avoid drilling. Drilling tile is very easy. Just use a scratch awl at the point you want to drill, VERY lightly tap it with a hammer to crack the glaze at this point -- and drill with a masonary bit to size.

I've done this many times and haven't cracked a tile yet.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

No. Depends on the tile. Some porcelain tile will dull a carbide bit before you get a single hole finished, and only diamond bits will work.

Cheap, soft tile, yes, you can drill easily.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Arrange to the right level, and just bed it in caulk.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch