Sliding door replacement: new construction vs. retrofitting

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my patio large sliding doors, one of the contractors told me that he only do new construction replacement for the sliding doors because retrofitting won't last. His reason was sliding doors are heavy and after a period of using (and slamming) it will leak.
Would someone out there be able to help me understand if it's worth pay for the new construction type of replacement?
Thank you very much
On 8/11/2005 1:00 AM US(ET), Zin took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Bull Sh**. He just doesn't know how to replace the doors. Find another contractor.
--
Bill

Agreed. I paid less than $200 to have my 8 foot slider replaced and it is as perfect as the day installed over 10 years ago. You need a new contractor. I bought a Pella and had a local guy do the install.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I did something similar.
I also had the good fortune to know a guy who worked millwork at home depot who tipped me off to a special order return on an Andersen oak slider that fit perfectly, and I got it for quite a deal.
Evidently 8' doors get returned routinely because of people ordering 8' wide doors when really they want 8' high and vice versa.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

That doesn't sound right to me. I replaced my 8 foot sliders with retrofitted sliders from home depot five years ago and have had no problems with leaking. The home depot guys put the doors in for me, if that helps.
Donna