size of fan motor - Air conditioning

1. We just had a Keeprite, 2-ton, 10 SEER air conditioner put into our 850 sq. ft home. We presently have a 1/4 hp electric motor running our furnace fan - is this fan going to be good enough? Can we just change the size of the pulley or do we need to get a 1/3 or 1/2 horse motor?
2. I hear that if there is not enough air flow over the condenser coil, it could ice up and give you problems - is this true?
Howie

850
furnace
Brand, Model & Serial Numbers on the Furnace are??

it
False, as to they wording you used.
The condenser is the coil outside, in the condensing unit. The evaporator coil is inside with the furnace or air handler.
And the answer to 'can the evap freeze do to inadequate air flow'? Is YES!.

Now then, if you just had the system installed, did the installing company check the air flow on the unit at the time of inspection or install?
Post the information on the Furnace or Air Handler and we see what you really have.
~kjpro~
If you had it done by a pro why would you even consider this . Its like buying a car, and after you buy it you wonder if it has enough room for the family and towing that trailer. 10 seer a good way to waste money unless you are up north and dont use it much

I unfortunately wasn't able to be around when the job was finsihed. I plan to will call to find out a few more details.
Its like

The choice of efficientcy anf SEER value satifiy me fine. I was just inquiring about air flow so that the AC unit isn't running any more than it needs to be..
10 seer a good way to waste money

We live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada - we only have about 400-500 cooling hours.

of
the furnace is an older InterCity, mdeol 100 GHB, serial # 087473

sorry, I got the terminology mixed up, but it appears I still got my message across.

I don't think so. I unfortunately wasn't able to be around when the job was finished. I plan to call to find out a few more details. Should I insist that the installer check the air flow? Should I take the access cover off and see if the evaporator coil is iced up?

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I'm not there to look at it, but you are correct to be concerned. Cold air is heavier than warm air, so pushing cold AC air up into a house takes more motor power.
As for coil freezing, the indoor coil (evaporator) can freeze if there is too little air flow.
Try it for a couple days or a week, and see if it gives you problems. Check once in awhile to see if air is pumping out of the vents when the unit is running.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus