Six fans running at all times

Page 1 of 3

Six fans running at all times
I was at friends on Sunday, and it was 94 out and their AC was on, and it was comfortable in the house, and they also had on 6 fans on the first floor. (Perhaps more in the finished basement where one son lives.)
Each of the three bedrooms on the first floor had a ceiling fan that was running; there was a whirring fan in the hall, on a 40" stand.
A table fan in the living room, and an oscillating table fan in the dining room.
A couple and two grown kids live there, so never are all those rooms occupied, and when they eat together, which is often and lengthy, only one room is. Most of the time, two, maybe 3 rooms have someone in them.
It seems to me they're making it harder for their AC to keep up with the hot outdoors, and at the very least, they're paying to run the 6 fans and then paying again to remove the heat the fans make, only a couple of which are actually making them more comfortable.
Is it worth saying anything to them?
mm wrote:

Sounds like they are scrambling air flow which may not be good thing to do.

We have ceiling fans in each of the bedrooms and great room (2) (and one on the back porch, but no AC there ;). The bedroom fans are in use whenever we're using the room or are going to within the next few hours. The great room fans don't get turned off from April to October. The fans allow us to keep the temperature a bit above what we normally would (generally 77F) without them and we normally keep the upstairs heat pump off (there are only two of us and the master is on the first floor). The great room ceiling is 20', so those fans really are needed to mix the air for the AC.

Sounds to me like they are out of your control, and need to be brought back under your control. Hell, yes. And don't mince any words. What's the worst that could happen? Lose their friendship? It wasn't that good to start with if your level of acceptance and tolerance of their behavior is what it is to risk the friendship over some fans.
Are you going to report this back at the Gulag? Either that you instigated some energy savings, or just want to get them into the room with the facial rat cages? Will your own carbon credit account benefit?
I wouldn't say anything to them. I'd just turn the very obvious and wasteful Republican conservatives in to the proper authorities for the proper punishment.
HTH
Steve

No, they'd not understand the logic.

a buddy has family like that no AC, the family leaves fans running 24/7 even when no one is home and often windows are shut for fear of rain.
his family doesnt get that each fan running is adding more heat from the fan motors.
sadly many are clueless over stuff like this.
I wouldnt say anything they wouldnt believe you:(
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 04:14:13 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

You may well be right. They both have Ph.D's, the man's in mathematics. I've always thought that math and physics and home repair were all closely related, but I had a lot of trouble explaining something very simple, like how some simple light or telelphone circuit worked.

Depends, but you got to keep in mind that it's not your house. They may have a reason you don't know about. I might make a joke and say, "This house is great for flying a kite."

Tactful, and that's very good, but I know if you said that to me, I woudln't get it. I might not even tie it to the fans, and certainly not to a suggestion I turn some of them off.

The correct opening line for the conversation is:
"Hey, that must be just one of your many fans."
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:28:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

No.
"Hey, can you turn that fan on high? I'm hot!"

So you didn't get the joke?

They sound like morons. You need to speak to them in the "moronic language". Remember, guns speak louder than words and even a complete moron will normally recognize a gun.
Walk into their house with a large double barrel shotgun. Point it at the first running fan you see. Tell them they have 20 seconds to shut the energy wasting fan off, or it's gets blown to kingdom come. Allow them 20 seconds to turn it off. If not, pull the trigger (wait till they are out of the way). Go to the next fan and repeat. By this time they will likely shut off the fan, knowing you mean business. Continue to all six fans. I can guarantee you WILL get a response (one way or the other).
Note: If you must shoot the fan, aim for the motor or the power cord. Dont hit a fan blade, the bullet may come back at you. Besides, there will be more "fireworks" when you hit the electrical parts, which will add to the excitement. It's unlikely you'll have to actually shoot more than the first fan once they get the picture and know you're serious.
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:20:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I have to print this out and take it with me.

Moving air feels cooler. If you use fans you can set the thermostat higher. If they're happy I'd leave them alone.

Yep. I turn on the funace fan when it begings to be a bit too warm. That staves off the A/C starting for a time. Yesterday it didn't start at all until I turned the fan off. Within about 10 minutes the a/c kicked in. Put the fan back on, a/c completed its cycle and didnt' fire up again all afternoon. Running a fractional horse furnace fan beats running a multi horse compressor motor.
Harry K
"jamesgangnc" wrote mm wrote:

I use only fans at that 94F level though that's about when I close up and turn on the AC. The fans are set to allow whole house air flow. Being more south probably of some of you, we don't consider 94F that hot if there is a nice breeze and inside, it would be 5-6 degrees cooler.

Correct. Thermostat set 84, checked bills and it's less with fans and 76F thermostat for same comfort level.
If some well meaning yahoo were to say it would be cooler without the fans, I'd politely turn them off until the sweat started dripping off their nose then offer to turn them back on. Then again, they'd probably get stupid and say without the fans it would cost the same to set the temp to 70.

Just how does it make AC work harder, moving air makes you feel cooler and its their house. Whats next, telling them how to water and cut their grass and when to change motor oil?

mm doesn't believe that ceiling fans make you feel cooler.
But, in rooms that are unoccupied, yes it is stupid to run fans in those rooms, and even more stupid to cool them at all if the rooms aren't being used on a daily basses.

You have a good memory. That's pretty much true regarding the summer, but people here tell me they do and I wasn't going to suggest otherwise to my friends.