Sink Basket

Hi I was trying to change the pipes underneath a kitchen sink the other day. I have done this before with no problems! But with this sink the straight pipe attaching to the bottom of the sink basket would not allow me to connect it. when i would try and put the connection on without the pipe it would go on crooked each time and i had to push the one side down till it snapped then it would screw normally. There was no way that it would work with the pipe was attached!! What would cause this or what could I have done? Thanks