single handle faucet versus two faucets?

Page 2 of 2

On Apr 9, 5:44?am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I use ONLY DELTA single handle type, but if the kitchen faucet ever fails will replace it with a single handlke and pull out sprayer
my kitchen delata is 11 years old, got new washers and diverter ONCE, the washers were fine but the diverter clogged, so I replaced everything.........
The delta this 11 year old faucet replaced was a 20 year old delta, it worked fine when changed, got a new sink. have a 9 year old delta in the bath, my fiance insisted on a 2 handle faucet, the 2 handle died after 3 years, no cartridge available so I went with a delta there, havent even changed a washer on that one.
Delta shower spray wands were a piece of junk, I replaced after 2 months. it was horrible but there faucets fantastic.
ball valves like on delta single handle tend to be highly reliable
We live in an Southern Arizona, where there's lots of dissolved minerals in the water.
The single-control faucets just don't hold up ! The minerals clog up the ( small ) internal controls.
In this circumstance, old-fashioned ( separate controls ) faucets just work and work and keep on workin'.
<rj>

My AmStd single handle faucets (3) Delta (1) and PriceFister (1) are still working fine after 9 years in Tucson

Separate faucets are less complicated than single types, and can be presumed to have a longer service life. If repairability is an issue, the separate types win because of the design. It is possible that single types can be repaired, but those in my house were always terminal from wear or corrosion and usually replaced by duals. I've got some Kohler units that are going on 20 years old now that have only needed an occasional washer replacement on the hot water side. YMMV of course.
Joe

Personally I think it's a matter of personal taste. We replaced our sink and tap last fall and went with a two handle faucet replacing the single faucet that was there. Why? We thought it looked better.
PV

I certainly prefer the convenience of the single handle faucet. Good quality ones are expensive, however. The previous owner of my house splashed out $500 on a Grohe and I love it. Looks good, silky smooth operation and absolutely no problems.
If you're on a tight budget, the cheap two-handle faucets are likely to given less trouble than the cheap single-handle faucets.

Just read the entire thread and it wasn't mentioned.
I vote for single handle even in the bath if they can be had for a reasonable price. Why?
I dearly hate trying to clean around those two handles on a sink. Seems almost impossible to get into some of the nooks and crannies. When we redid our bath the missus picked out a very fancy, stylish set of faucets...until, that is, I mentioned the problem of keeping them clean. Still wound up with two handle but at least simple design.
I appears to me that designers and interior decorators must never do any cleaning. Worst I saw was in a "yuppie" magazine proudly showing a bath design. Shower was beautiful - pebbles (as in marble size) covering the shower wall.
Harry K