silestone bar

Need some design help-

Plans call for an 18" bar, set atop a 42" 1/2 wall, and slightly overhanging the counter backsplash. Builders are now telling me they *think* I need brackets under the remaining 13" overhang. I know it is possible to fix the counter to the top sill of the 2x4 half wall, but need some real ideas - any suggestions? We really don't want brackets to detract from the clean lines / look that we are going for.

Any thoughts / suggestions / experiences would be great!

~Keith

Reply to
keglidd

Mine was done like this:

If that box section fails your clean lines test (as I suspect it will), I would consider something like a steel frame to support the stone with "legs" dropping down onto or into the wall and bolted to the studs.

That custom steel work doesn't need to be terribly precise or pretty and a small shop could probably put it together for a modest price.

It would look even neater if the stone slab is made with a double thickness laminated edge (with bullnose or whatever) so the bullnose hangs over and hides the steel/plywood support.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Check with the manufacturer. Or get a small scrap piece and see how hard it is to break, then use your judgment. Builder of course want to CYA just in case.

Reply to
Jeff