signing handmade woodworking projects

I'm new at woodworking and have been making some things out of oak for relatives. How can I put my initials on my work? I don't want to pound them in -- maybe burning is the way to go? I thought that inscribing initials with a dremel might be the way to go, but I need some sort of template or I'm sure that I'll mess it up. But I haven't seen any templates for routing with a dremel. Any ideas for other ways to do this stuff?
How do you folks "sign" handmade wood projects?
Terry

I use a Sharpie felt tip pen.

One day I had nothiung to do, so I decided to waste the afternoon by making astamp with my initial with the plan to use a propane torch to get it hot and press into the wood.
My initial are MG. The M is easy to file, the G was made out of two pieces, a tube and a mating insert. Hell, I surprise myself in doing a reasonable job. The M was made out of a 3/8 hex bolt, head filed to an offset cuboid, one face flush with the shank. Basically, two cylinders fastened parallel with two screws. The screws are also holding to L shaped brackets acting as handles. The handles edges on the top surfaces are cut to look like an arrow to indicate the proper alignment. The type must be made in mirror image, of course. The handle gets hot by the time you have the tip cherry red, because my propane torch is barely adequate to heat the tip quickly.
You could save a lot of work by buying a redy made stencil punch but you loose on the primary reason to sign the work, which in my opinion is to add one more personal touch.
Happy filing, grinding and drilling and taping. You should also post to rec.woodwork
MG
rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:08:52 -0500, "Terry Vacha"

Or you could make one by bending steel wire to shape and then heating it in a torch flame.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/search_results.cfm?filter=branding&submit.x &submit.y=7
They have a big variety.
Charlie
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:08:52 -0500, "Terry Vacha"

I sign them with initial-dot-last name and the year, usually on the back, underside or bottom of a drawer. Either use a small gouge, soldering iron, or pencil--no template. I like the year, as I often forget when I made the piece.
Thanks all -- great ideas -- I'll look into each one. I like the idea of burning initials and year. Not sure if I would buy or make the branding irons.
Terry

I also wonder if you could use a cheap set of steel metal stamps like what's available from Harbor Freight,the larger 1/4"ones.With letters and 0-9 numerals;heat them up and use then as stamps.They would no longer be useful for stamping metal,though,the temper would be gone.They're only $5- 10 a set at HF.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

You're welcome! I love browsing through the local HF,it's only 1/4 mile from my apartment.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

soldering iron. I had one as a kid. They still can be had for about $10 US.