Siding Restoration

My house was built in 1892. It has 3 layers of siding, the outermost is 8" exposure aluminum. The next layer is Asbestos shingle over a layer of tar paper. The original siding is 4" exposure cedar lap siding with a layer of thick paper then the diagonal plank sheathing. The cedar looks like it is in good condition so I was wondering if I could just strip the outer 2 layers of siding and refinish the cedar, stripping and sanding the old paint off then priming and painting the cedar. Would this original siding be sufficiently weather tight? The plaster is also pretty far gone in most of the rooms so I will also be doing fiber glass insulation in the walls. I'm well aware of the lead paint and asbestos ramifications...
Thanks
Mike
Mike D wrote:

I suspect that you will find areas of the original siding that are not in good condition. Of course they can be repaired. Most people don't cover good siding up.
If in good shape, I would restore it if it were my home.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

100 year old wood is probably better quality than you can find at any price these days. I live in an 1834 house with no sheathing and much of the original siding. Tom Baker