shutting off the water ( heater too? )

When we leave our cottage for two months, we intend to shut off the water someone said we should NOT shut off the water unless also shut off the gas water heater, too.?? Any help or advice appreciated.thanks RichG
RichG wrote:

There is no safety reason to shut off the gas to the heater; it won't siphon itself empty. You could set the gas control (thermostat) to "PILOT" or "VACATION"; that will keep the pilot lit and the water at minimum temp.
Jim
Why would you leave anything on except maybe a sump pump, alarm and lights on a timer.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

It saves having to relight the pilot light when one returns. In the case of a water heater, it reduces the chance of rusting on bare metal items, in the heat path, due to condensation and humidity.
John Hines wrote:

leaving the pilot light on causes the rusting