Shutters and Wasps - Nesting Prevention Ideas?

I'm looking for ideas on how to prevent wasps from taking up residence behind my vinyl shutters.

I've considered filling the back of the shutters with styrofoam cut to fit all the nooks and crannies, making the shutters essentially solid.

The shutters are going on vinyl siding, so there will still be gaps behind the shutters, but I think the wasps like the total privacy of being inside the shutters themselves.

Thoughts?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My thoughts??? -- Hopeless effort...

Reply to
dpb

If they have no room to nest they will chose another place. Don't know how well the Styrofoam would hold up over the years though.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I have vinyl siding and vinyl shutters and an amazing number of wasps.

One year, the postman said he no longer wanted to come to the front door.

I put a few mothballs in a nylon stocking and hung it on the fence rail near the mail box.

That's worked well for a couple of years now. The bees are still around, they just don't hang out by the door.

You could put a mothball behind each shutter and I bet it would keep them away.

I don't mind the bees behind the shutters, just the mailbox was a problem for me.

Reply to
Dan Espen

That's just plain nuts, to mount a mailbox behind the shutters.

Reply to
B.B.

I use the wasp/hornet spray. It is very effective and lasts a few weeks, but I only use in when wasps build theirs nests near doors or anywhere they decide to get too close.

Reply to
Phisherman

Interesting question. We have hurricane shutters and sometimes keep them partly closed to keep out sun (Florida). We always get a small wasp nest going before it's time to wash windows again, but also get little lizards and tree frogs looking for shade. Pretty interesting.

Reply to
Norminn

Get a couple of cans of hornet/wasp spray. Wait until nightfall and then ambush the critters. This will discourage them.

If you try to do the same during daylight hours, you will only aggravate the insects hanging around the nest. Those foraging will return and build anew.

The smell from the spray should deter them for a bit.

Reply to
franz frippl

Did this over a week ago. Wasps were dropping like flys...errrrr...wasps. Banged on the shutters 2 days later, no activity. Took the shutters off 2 days later, dozen of empty nests and 1 very lethargic and lonely wasp.

Began installing new windows a week after I sprayed. a few wasps were buzzing around all weekend, looking for their old home. I guess they were on vacation when I sprayed/removed the shutters 'cuz they were pretty insistant about trying to find their nests.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Instead of cutting bits of styrofoam, you might try the foam in a can. After it hardens, you could cut it flat along the back so it hangs correctly.

Reply to
borne

replying to DerbyDad03, Jack Money wrote: Staple roofing paper to the back of shutters. This will cover up the hollow section behind the shutter.

Reply to
Jack Money

Ten year old post.

Throw away the shutters and install rolladens.

Reply to
TimR

replying to DerbyDad03, judy wrote: i just saw on the internet something called 'wasp shutter guard' and looked all over for it and cant' find it. I would like to know what it's made of and/or where i can buy it

Reply to
judy

replying to dpb, Doug Waldron wrote: I used a can of spray foam. Take a pair of shutters, lay them flat outside with the backside up. Spray in the foam to fill all crevices about half way up. Then flip one shutter onto the other one so the backs are together. Let the shutters sit together outside for a few days in the sun. The foam will expand. After a few days, cut the shutters apart with a long hand saw. I did this 15 years ago and the foam is still there.

Reply to
Doug Waldron