Shower Tile Wall Collapse! Now what?!

Page 2 of 2
I also had a window but more towards the end of the tub. Consider eliminating the molding around the window. Use quarter round tile to frame the window. Trickily and a little expensive but no wood trim to rot. Also looks nice.
Take a look at the forum at www.johnbidge.com
If you plan on doing all the prep work, I would consider also doing the tiling work yourself. It really in not that hard especially since you are already doing the wall prep work.
We thought about glass block. Might still do it. We have little vetilation on the this floor, though, and the added air through the window is nice in this non-air conditioned house.
I might have to do the tile, too, due to budget constraints.
Goedjn, the roofing felt was a suggestion from a well-regarded web site: http://www.thetiledoctor.com/index.cfm

If you don't have a fan in that bathroom, a functional window's a good idea.
WirelessNut wrote:

hey there doug,
i have been laying tile now for 13 yrs. i don't suggest that anybody use durock for anything. in a bathroom shower area i use hardi- backer it a lot better than durock. instead of thinset use mastic its better for walls and there is no mixing. it comes in a 1 or 3 gallon bucket. if you have a home depot near you buy it from there. the brand name of the mastic is custom products. its the best on the market. when using the hardi backer just make sure that the screws are flush against the board. and also remember that you must have the screws 8" apart from each other too.
i hope this will help you .
bill
Thanks, Bill. I have gotten lots of recommendations on hardibacker and will ook into it. I was just at HD last night wondering about the mastic since it seemed easier than the thinset. Does the mastic do as good a job keeping the water out?
BTW, are you the same Bill who posts over at GardenWeb? If so, thanks for all your posts on tile backsplashes! They really helped us finish ours last year!

mastic and thinset hold the tiles on. they are not waterproofing.
Look into the roll of waterproofing fabric. It's pink in color. Not sure the actual name. This will protect the walls from possible mold reinfesting due to water seepage. Make sure all the mold is cleaned up before you close up the wall again or you just covered over a serious problem that will continue to cause problems for you and your family.

I hesisate to suggest seeing a lawer, but this didnt go bad overnite. Was there ANY indication of a earlier problem / fix and more important was this area disdclosed before sale to have troubles?
If they knew and covered it up the old wwners are on the hook for $$ repair cost!
I sold a home just over a year ago and discllosed everything, so they couldnt come back and get me for repairs

No you don't.
Hi just a cheap/ easy suggestion on the window. I had an apt. with a similar situation once and just used plastic miniblind with slats facing down when I showered. It was very effective. You do say, though, that shower spray hits window directly- mine was a glancing flow- might be a bit tougher challenge- get one and test it if possible. Also, you could build up/ replace sill so that it slopes into tub, sand/prime paint all woodwork with 2-3 coats marine paint. It would be good to keep window- and use it- to vent out moisture. Depending where you live it can be very pleasant to shower with outside sounds, scents. Or consider putting in exhaust fan- you did say you're doing ceiling, too, no?

Ken
On 2/23/2006 7:49 PM or thereabouts, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

It will be virtually impossible to prove that the seller was aware of the problem. Such proof is required in order to obtain a judgement against him.
--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I\'m simply an idiot.